First ribs on wsm

Tom Rotta

TVWBB Fan
My first ribs on the wsm. I think they were over done... but still tasty !! 2.5 hours at 235 - 240. Foiled with brown sugar, honey, margarine and a little apple juice for another 2 hours, then 30 minutes sauced. Also made some ABT's. They disappeared so fast, I didn't get any pics. My wife and I fought over the last one.

Prepped and ready to go. I used a different rub on each. (I like trying different things)
DSC00138.jpg

Lets get happy.....
DSC00141.jpg

Foiling...
DSC00142.jpg

Cut up and ready to eat.
DSC00145.jpg

Ok, I didn't get any shots of a plated meal. I just dug in and before I knew it, I had 1/2 slab gone. So you get to see bones and empty beer.
DSC00146.jpg

Now it's time to kick the feet up and relax. Hope everyone is having a great weekend.

Last edited:
Ribs look great! Nice smoke ring and good color. Why do you say they were over done? An over done rib means it really falls off the bone. Less done means it is tough to get away from the bone. An ideal rib (supposedly) is tender but still doesn't quite fall off the bone and leaves a bite mark when you bite into it. Like this:
b104fad7.jpg

Personally, the wife and I like em between having a good bite through and falling off the bone. Important thing is to cook em how ya like em!

They were falling apart. I could have slid the bones right out. But that didn't keep us from eating and they were GOOD !

Tom, I would eat my weight in ribs that bad!!! Great looking first, heck, great looking 20th attempt!!
Tim

Thanks Tim. I love ribs!! I started on a Brinkmann over a year ago and only had one bad result. Way too much smoke. Every cook I'm trying something new. I like the whole process and the anticipation of how it will turn out. With the exception of the one time, I've yet to cook anything I didn't like. These were my first on the wsm. Stay tuned for more rib cooks. I plan on smoking a lot of ribs over winter months. I have a turkey breast planed for thanksgiving and a few port butts mixed in too. I've never done a brisket, so once I get a good grasp on my wsm, I'll be giving that a try too.

Those look great! Did you forget to line the inside pan with foil? ( it makes clean up a breeze).
I do mine,appox. 3hrs.not covered,45mins wrapped,1 hr,sauced.(appox). @225°
You made me hungary for ribs,
Chuck.

They were falling apart. I could have slid the bones right out. But that didn't keep us from eating and they were GOOD !
They look fantastic! Aside from BBQ comp judges, many people like Fallin off the bone anyhow! Seems like you had the WSM dialed in for sure. I just have a mini wsm and a heavily modded ECB. Would love to have a WSM someday.

Tom, most folks like ribs a little overdone rather than under. They look REALLY good from here, and good job on keeping the ends of the slabs out of the hot zone. Smoking half slabs or rolling and skewering works as well. You avoided probably one of the biggest rookie mistakes with the wsm, right there. Of course, you mentioned you've got experience with the Brinkman.

You mentioned trying different things, so may I suggest some simple Memphis style st. Louis dry ribs? I go old school on that cook with water in the pan at around 250*, without any foiling, spritzing, or even saucing. Sounds too easy, but Chris Lilly's recipe in Big Bob Gibson's BBQ book is one of my favorite cooks!

Last edited:

Back