First Go at Smoking

One possibility is the age of your smoking wood. There is an age range where one get maximum benefit. Too green before that range and too dry afterwards.
If you're near Grand Junction, give Fruita Wood Chunks at try.

Injected with a apple juice, apple cider vinegar, brown sugar, salt mix. (Nothing online warns about possible back spray when removing the needle.)

Ha! I learned this the hard way, too. After scrubbing the kitchen wall a couple of times, I learned to do my injecting in a ziplock bag. For smaller butts (under about 8 lbs.), a gallon sized bag will do. I put the butt in there and seal the 'zipper' about halfway across, leaving just enough open to reach in with the injector. Also, the first injector I had ("Mr. BBQ" brand, I think), that I paid about $10 at the restaurant supply store, was horrible. The plunger didn't seal well; more injection slipped past it's double-o-rings than went into the butts. I've since picked up this combo. The solid injector works great for shoving whole garlic cloves into briskets and the liquid injector is fantastic. No leaks whatsoever.

Welcome to the forum, and good to see another Coloradoite! I agree with what someone else say about the smoke flavor. Try straight up hickory or mesquite, that should do it. Anyways, happy smoking!

Back