First "dry" cook on WSM

Steve McKibben

TVWBB Super Fan
I had a ten pound turkey that I brined in preparation for a "fry off" at a friend's house.

I had made a last minute decision to brine rather than inject the bird, and it wasn't until well into the brining that I read an admonition on the turkey talk forum against frying birds brined in apple juice or sugared brines. Too late.

So I decided to cook it onthe WSM with an empty water pan instead. Since I prefer the kettle for chickens, this was my first waterless cook on the WSM (I have just cooked ribs and butts so far). The turkey was great, and I loved the convenience of not using water. So much in fact that I bought a 14 inch clay saucer at Home Depot yesterday to further experiment with this method.

I'll likely try ribs first. My biggest concern is not being able to keep the temps low enough. Using the BRITU method (which does call for water in the pan) all of the coals are lit before starting the cook. I'm thinking the minion method might be better for the clay pot.

I'd like to hear some of your comments, suggestions, experiences if you'd be so kind...

Hi Steve, big fan of the clay saucer here. There are several posts with great tips on using this method, if I have time later I'll do a search and post a couple of posts that I fell may be helpful.

In short here are some tips.
1) Use MM with only 8 - 12 lit (any more and you'll have temp issues).
2) Catch the temp on the way up. Right around 200 degrees close your bottom vents down to say 1/8 to 100% closed and adjust accordingly to your desired temp.
3) Sit back and enjoy a waterless cook and an easy clean-up.

As long as you keep your temp under control on the way up, you'll be fine. Be sure to let us know how you like the method and good luck!

Steve,

I switched over to the clay saucer about a year ago and haven't looked back. It works basically like the water, it is a heat sink only and I think controls heat even better than water does and don't have to re-fill it. The minion method is what I use for every cook. Catch the temps on the way up and control with the vents. It will stay constant for many hours. You will love using it, it is alot easier.

Sand in another option that does the same thing. Fill the pan with sand just like you would water. You can find several conversations about the different options and ideas on here.

Randy

The person who came up with the saucer instead of water deserves a medal. I was lucky as I ran into a lot of talk on the saucer last summer after I got my wsm in July. I used water twice and the clean up was a real drag. The saucer is the greatest thing since sliced bread IMO. Temp control can't be any easier and no messy, fatty water to clean and dispose. I'll never use water again. Foil all around, cook for as long as you like, toss the foil and you're all cleaned up.Makes life worth living.
icon_biggrin.gif

Give it a go. Good luck.
Dave

Yep - I just got my WSM this fall. First two cooks were with water in the pan. Last 4 were with a Guru and dry pan. I'll never use the water method again. I bought the Guru mainly for mid winter/cold weather cooks. If I'm not using that it will still be dry with piedmont pan or clay saucer. I've sworn of the wet pan.

Ray

WSM
Weber Performer
CG Pro SFB

I have been using the piedmont pan for a year or so now, I haven't had any problems with controlling heat. The only problem I have is bone heading it and forget to foil the pan. I just washed up my pan yesterday because of that. I haven't persued a clay pot yet but maybe I should.

I do use the MM every time. Maybe not exactly as written but modifed a bit. On ribs I use about 3/4 of a chimney with a chimney or so lined around the outside of the ring. On other cuts I use 15 to 20 lit. I usually cook more than 6 slabs of ribs at any one time, and I always cook at 250 on the low side. Only exception I can think of at the moment is ribs. I start them at 225 then 2 hours later I bring them up to 250.

To me there are more factors than just how many pieces of charcoal to start. If I am doing 2 butts and a brisket I am starting 20 pieces of coal. Also don't start throttling down too late. I start closing the vent toward the wind side at 200. My unit seems to have cruise control at 250, almost like it is automatic. It is hard to get it above 300 even when I want it to.

Back