first cook underway - ribs/chicken

1 hour in, and all is well so far. i think i'll check the chicken in 30 minutes or so to see how it's doing. it sure smells great out there. it's hard not to open the lid and see how it all looks, i've only peeked once for a second. hopefully it will taste as good as it smells.

Good luck on your first cook, and keep us posted. Take some pics also.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

still going good. how long can this chicken take? it's been in there for 3.5 hours, and i've held the temp at the lid at 230-250, mostly 240. i might pull one chicken 1/4 off at 4 hours, cause it's gotta be done by now. thoughts?

Yes: Don't pull it off till you know it's done. Use an accurate thermometer to check it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> how long can this chicken take? it's been in there for 3.5 hours, and i've held the temp at the lid at 230-250, mostly 240. i might pull one chicken 1/4 off </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Your doing chicken 1/4's correct? I'd have to say after 3.5 hrs that they are done.
icon_smile.gif

thanks kevin.

the temp in the chicken was 170 the last two times i checked, at the 3 hour and 3.5 hour marks. i'm going to check it with another thermometer at 4 hours. i've got two meat thermometers, and i tested them both last night, they were good. so was the candy thermometer i have in the lid. hopefully all is well.

just saw your post bryan, thanks. i'm checking the temp at 4 hours and probably pulling one of them out. guests (the in laws that bought me this awesome smoker) will be here at 5, plan on eating at 6.

Benji

I often do butterflied chic halves low/slow like you're doing. With 1/4s the time should be less, but the extra meat on the pit (ribs) might equalize that. It's not unusual for me to go 4 1/2 hours to hit 175 in the thigh.

Be patient.

Paul

here are the promised pics:

temps held up good:

three hours in, added potatoes:

six hours in:

pulled chicken and added sauce:

ribs are ready to eat:

not a lot of leftovers:

it looks like they liked it:

everything went well, i could have probably pulled the chicken sooner, but it was still great. the chicken cooked for 5.5 hours, the ribs for about 6.5. the two chunks of apple from my papaw worked great. it was all good. the dry ribs were the biggest hit, followed by the chicken, then the sweet sauced ribs, then the hot sauced ribs. i can't wait to do it again.

Benji, the ribs look great. Congrats on your first cook!! Now you're ready to go for Pork Butts.

thanks paul. i can't wait to try some pork butts. i think the next thing i try might be a fresh ham, then slice it thin, just like Ridgewood.

Back