First cook on wsm mini

Tom Rotta

TVWBB Fan
Here is my mini and my first cook on it. a single rack of spare ribs. Temp started to drop about an hour in. cleared the ash and stirred coals. About an hour later is started dropping again. Same response. So i was having trouble keeping the ash clear of the bottom vents. When I built it, I skipped the "can" mod for the SJS. I guess I'll have to get one of those cans and try it to see if it helps.

DSC00139.jpg

DSC00148.jpg

DSC00149.jpg

DSC00189.jpg

DSC00190.jpg

DSC00191.jpg

These ribs were great !!! :cool: Trimmed, rubbed and smoked. About 3 hours in, I started spaying with apple juice about every 20 minutes. After another hour or so, I stated saucing. I used Harry Soo's suggestion of SBR, apple juice, pineapple juice, hot sauce and cayenne pepper. Also added a few heavy pinches of my rub. I am definitely doing these again.

DSC00192.jpg

DSC00194.jpg

Ready to eat with a few leftover thanksgiving sides.
DSC00195.jpg

Good loookin food and nice mini build. I especially like the basket build.

You definitely need to cut the top off a can, turn it over, and put some holes in the sides near what was the bottom now the top. The center rib of my charcoal grate hit the can I used so I flipped the grate over and it fits on the can and the supports at the same time. As you figured out, the can will allow long cooks without having to clear ash from the vent. I recommend drilling a cpl holes and try it to see how temps react. If you need more air drill another hole, repeat until you get what you think is about right.

Thanks for advice Dwain. Good to know about the charcoal grate issue you ran into. I think we have a can I use in the pantry. Just need to use whatever it is and save the can for the mod. Even though I had to keep clearing the ash, I was happy the mini held it's temp pretty well. Much better then my Brinkmann ever did.

Thanks for the detailed pic of your mini, and those ribs look great!! I tried to tell my bride we needed a mini, but I got the "hairy eyeball."

Back