First Cook on the 22" WSM

JLanning

Placed these on @ 7:00am this morning. I used a modified version of Chris Lilly"s shoulder rub on these two 8lb butts, I also went ahead and did the injection as well. The WSM has settled in @ 260, hopefully these will be ready around 6:00-630.

IMG00069-20100604-0659.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG00070-20100604-0659.jpg

IMG00071-20100604-0702.jpg

GREAT!!!! We'll be over around six in case they're done early!!!!!

icon_biggrin.gif

nice looking start..........hope they turn out nice for you.....thanks for sharing!

I used about five fist size chunks of Hickory. I have a question, after about three hours does the smoke usually disappear? Don't see any smoke but the temp is holding steady at 260.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JLanning:
I have a question, after about three hours does the smoke usually disappear? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

YES

Congratulations and Welcome! Looks like you're off to a great start. I'm sure you'll be eatin' good tonight!

Looks good!

At somepoint in the future you may want to work with the door to close up some of those gaps. It makes controlling the temperature more difficult with big gaps.

Russ

Hey J-Vol, you'll want to insert a temp probe to check the internal temp sometime... you'll want to yank em off somewhere between 190'F to 205'F for pulling.
Right now, you're lookin' good
icon_biggrin.gif

Get those taco shells out, Pulled Pork Tacos are AWESOME!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Russ Sylvester:
Looks good!

At somepoint in the future you may want to work with the door to close up some of those gaps. It makes controlling the temperature more difficult with big gaps.

Russ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I was just going to say that!

After 6hrs the internal temp is 164F. After spraying with apple juice I put the lid back on and within 10 min. the temp was back up to 260F. Man this is just too easy..next up will be Brisket. Why did it take me so long to get a WSM!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Robert Clark:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JLanning:
I have a question, after about three hours does the smoke usually disappear? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>YES </div></BLOCKQUOTE>If the internal temp hasn't reached 140º I'd throw on a couple more wood chunks.

EDIT: Oops! NVM.
icon_wink.gif

Man this is just too easy..next up will be Brisket. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Watch out for Mean Mr Brisket!

Butt is just the soft left jab setting you up for Brisket's haymaker right!

Hey JLanning from SE Tennessee!
There's several of us Vols on the board.
I'm from Jackson, Cullen is from Millington, and there's a few more that don't pipe up much.

You gotta great cook goin'! Now we just gotta convert you to Blues Hog Rub and Blues Hog Tennessee Red Sauce! They're the bomb!

IMG00072-20100604-1631.jpg

Sorry but this is the only picture I have of the end result, we were in a hurry to get over to our friends on time. Internal temp was 195F so I wrapped them for about 45min. then pulled. Bark and meat was excellent and I made some #5 BBQ sauce which was unbelievable. My wife loves Sweet Baby Rays so she reluctantly tried the #5 Sauce, after that she never touched the Sweet Baby Rays all night or anyone else for that matter.
icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">#5 BBQ sauce </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Can you please provide a link to the recipe for this sauce? My family too, is addicted to SBR sauce (me too!) - I'd sure like to introduce them to an alternative. Can't find the recipe.

Thanks!
Bob H.
Southern Maryland

Oops!

Never mind - the recipe just bumped me up-side the head . . . Dah!

Thanks anyway.

p.s.,
your cook looks great! I did same last Sat, and folds raved. We dressed it with their choice of SBR's or North Carolina Vinegar.

Cheers!

Back