First Cook on 22" WSM!!!

AngelFallon

So I spent nearly my whole weekend with my new WSM! And other than a few issues I think that things went relatively well!

On Saturday I loaded up the grill and was doing my own spin on the minion style with the charcoal.
I started with a little charcoal and added my oak
TmM8jexl.jpg

I then added more charcoal and dumped the chimney in the center...
wW79aItl.jpg

YfrSfKTl.jpg

Now I forgot to take as many photos as I had planned .. and I didnt take notes like I thought I would either :)

But I started with a 14.5# turkey, the label said it had up to 8% of a "solution" in it so I did not brine it. I just added a bit of olive oil and then some salt and pepper and tossed it on the grill at ~325dF.

I then ran into my first issue, I had trouble getting the temp to go down! Within the first hour I had all the vents closed and it was still in the low 300dF range and the turkey was looking dry so I kept spritzing it with apple cider vinegar in hopes of salvaging it. Eventually the temp started dropping off on its own. and about 2-3hrs into the cook I pulled the turkey and put it into an metal tray and sliced up a few sticks of butter and placed them on top of the turkey and covered it with foil and tossed it back on the grill and started checking internal temps at the breast and thigh. After another 2-3 hours the temps finally got up to 167dF so I pulled the turkey off and let it rest until it was cool enough to break down.

I totally forgot about taking pictures until I had already broken it down but the color looked good and after I added the butter the moisture started looking a lot better and I was really happy with the flavor
llzfCDTl.jpg

So after the turkey on Saturday I felt confident enough to try something a little harder.. I got up early and went to load the charcoal up and found nearly half of what I had put in the day before was still in there. They looked like mostly half burned bricks and same small charred pieces of wood. So I knocked off all the ash and then loaded the rest of the charcoal and wood just like I had done the day prior. Now it was much colder Sunday morning than it was on Saturday and I had a heck of a time getting the temp UP to where I wanted it to be (250dF) and keeping it there. After an hour or so I got it up there and dropped the brisket in on the lower rack. I had previously trimmed the 10# packer brisket and gave it a light coating of olive oil and then I salt and peppered it pretty generously.
RG0vyivl.jpg

qJ99dwSl.jpg

After placing the brisket on the grill I had to fight to get the temp back up and after an hour of it hovering around 190-200dF I decided to fire up another chimney and add some more charcoal. Which didn't seem to help right away after another hour or so it was around the right temp.

At this point I knew the brisket was going to be a while still. So I pulled out a few racks of ribs and trimmed them up. I seasoned them with some off the shelf rub and tossed them on to the top shelf of the WSM and the temp bottomed out again around 180-190ish. I stirred the coals some and left all the vents closed and it eventually started coming back up and hovered around 230 then after a couple hours it was finally back up to ~250dF.

At this point the brisket has been on about 6 hours and was actually looking pretty good and the ribs had been on about 2.5hrs. So to speed things up I pulled everything off and wrapped the brisket in foil and tossed it back on the grill. I spritzed the ribs with some apple cider vinegar and a 50/50 mix of bbq sauce and water and then i tossed those back on and had the same trouble with the temp dropping below 200dF and it taking much too long for it to come back up. It did eventually and maybe 3 hours later the brisket was right at 205dF so we pulled everything off.
qL7VWHLl.jpg

nFtLDWDl.jpg

LAyECZhl.jpg

We ate some of the ribs and everything looked and tasted pretty good! After a couple hours we cut into the brisket and it was good as well .. I think it may have still been slightly under cooked but not by much.

So now if I can just get a better handle on reaching and maintaining the temps I think we will be all set for a nice long summer of smoked meats!!

That's a TON of oak wood for smoke. :cool: But hey, it's all part of the fun. As you get a few more smokes under your belt, playing with the temps will get a lot easier. And none easier than when you reach the point of knowing you don't have to mess with the vents. You'll only understand that last sentence once you reach that point, but it'll come.

Congrats on the new hobby!

haha .. yeah I have an entire rick of oak that I "plan" on using this summer! :)

That and even if its a little more work I'd like to try and get as much of that smoking flavor as possible! I wouldn't mind trying to make the WSM a stick burner but there is no real easy way to stoke the fire mid-grilling without letting all the heat out. So I'm just going to have to find that balance.

Now I just have to find the best place to get myself a BBQ Guru or something similar to help me monitor temps. Anyone have opinions on whats the better unit s out there and the best place to pick on up at?

For monitoring temps, a lot of us are using the Maverick ET-732 (or the newly released 733)
The Guru and such are too much $$$ for my taste.

I love my PartyQ! Works really good. I was using it on my weber kettle not on a WSM because I'm still waiting for mine.

My jaw dropped looking at all the wood. 23 good sized chunks? Never seen that before. Wow. And that's with minion smoke too.

Now I just have to find the best place to get myself a BBQ Guru or something similar to help me monitor temps. Anyone have opinions on whats the better unit s out there and the best place to pick on up at?

i love my digi Q dx2, cant comment on the other units out there but the digi Q is well built and very easy to use

Thanks for the thermometer suggestions .. Ill have to look at them all and see what they offer. I would like multiple probes and probably Wireless on which ever unit I pick up. I was doing a quick google a few days back and thought I saw a unit that included some kind of control fan? I thought that was an interesting idea, even more hands off if it can control the air flow/temp with minimal interaction from me. has anyone seen these or used any themselves?

My jaw dropped looking at all the wood. 23 good sized chunks? Never seen that before. Wow. And that's with minion smoke too.

haha .. Yeah .. I was thinking that essentially I am just replacing some charcoal with wood, so I may get a shorter burn time but I would get more wood smoke. This was my first time doing this really so I was just winging it! I didn't break any unspoken rules did i ?? :p

Last edited:
From the OP: "... I pulled out a few racks of ribs and trimmed them up. I seasoned them with some off the shelf rub and tossed them on to the top shelf of the WSM and the temp bottomed out again around 180-190ish. I stirred the coals some and left all the vents closed and it eventually started coming back up and hovered around 230 then after a couple hours it was finally back up to ~250dF."

Assuming your wsm isn't out of round, the temp shouldn't keep rising if you leave the vents shut. However, your smoker should be thoroughly seasoned now, and a lot more responsive to vent adjustment.

"...essentially I am just replacing some charcoal with wood, so I may get a shorter burn time but I would get more wood smoke."

That you did, and I'm curious what you thought. How much wood you think you'll use next time?

Uhg .. I had a super long reply typed out and hit the wrong button and lost it!! Si here we go again!

From the OP: "... I pulled out a few racks of ribs and trimmed them up. I seasoned them with some off the shelf rub and tossed them on to the top shelf of the WSM and the temp bottomed out again around 180-190ish. I stirred the coals some and left all the vents closed and it eventually started coming back up and hovered around 230 then after a couple hours it was finally back up to ~250dF."

Assuming your wsm isn't out of round, the temp shouldn't keep rising if you leave the vents shut. However, your smoker should be thoroughly seasoned now, and a lot more responsive to vent adjustment.

I feel the smoker has become fairly seasoned now.. but funny that you mention the grill being out of round, sometimes when I'm putting the lid on it doesn't just slide in the groove. Sometimes I have to apply a slight bit of pressure. Now its not a lot by any means and sometimes if I just pick it back up and put the lid back down it'll slip right in. So there could be a chance of that. I wouldn't think it would be that bad though. Seeing as the side door probably lets more air in than anything. I was really surprised how that side panel lacked any kind of seal actually.

"...essentially I am just replacing some charcoal with wood, so I may get a shorter burn time but I would get more wood smoke."

That you did, and I'm curious what you thought. How much wood you think you'll use next time?

My thoughts .. well honestly the only ones I have are that it came out tasting good and the burn times were exceptional. Honestly though this was my first time ever smoking anything so what I did was "normal" to me. I have a whole rick of oak that I hope to get through this summer so I suspect if anything I may try and see just how little coal I can get away with using and replace it with as much wood as possible, I'd like to at least maintain a 10hr burn. I may try it with a layer of coal and nothing but wood on top of that with a spot in the center for a chimney full to start the burn. But I think I should try it at least once with all coal just to see if there is any noticeable difference. But seeing as wood can be cheaper and offers more flavor I am leaning more towards using as much of that as possible.

I feel the smoker has become fairly seasoned now.. but funny that you mention the grill being out of round, sometimes when I'm putting the lid on it doesn't just slide in the groove. Sometimes I have to apply a slight bit of pressure. Now its not a lot by any means and sometimes if I just pick it back up and put the lid back down it'll slip right in. So there could be a chance of that. I wouldn't think it would be that bad though. Seeing as the side door probably lets more air in than anything. I was really surprised how that side panel lacked any kind of seal actually.

My thoughts .. well honestly the only ones I have are that it came out tasting good and the burn times were exceptional. Honestly though this was my first time ever smoking anything so what I did was "normal" to me. I have a whole rick of oak that I hope to get through this summer so I suspect if anything I may try and see just how little coal I can get away with using and replace it with as much wood as possible, I'd like to at least maintain a 10hr burn. I may try it with a layer of coal and nothing but wood on top of that with a spot in the center for a chimney full to start the burn. But I think I should try it at least once with all coal just to see if there is any noticeable difference.

I'd get out a tape measure and see what's going on with the dome and middle section. You can tweak it a good bit before cracking the porcelain enamel. Also, try tweaking the door till you get a decent seal. Lots of folks are now using gaskets, but I don't have one on either of my wsm's. No smoke escapes around my Cajun Bandit stainless doors on either cooker.

Yeah, you might try charcoal alone on your next chicken cook, just to see and taste the difference that wood can make. BBQ champion Harry Soo probably uses six or seven chunks of hickory and apple in his wsm's for butts, but is quoted not to add any wood at all when putting chicken on.

haha .. Yeah .. I was thinking that essentially I am just replacing some charcoal with wood, so I may get a shorter burn time but I would get more wood smoke. This was my first time doing this really so I was just winging it! I didn't break any unspoken rules did i ?? :p

Not at all. It's just a funny picture. Everything wasn't too smokey? I sometimes can use one or two good sized chunks a cook.

Back