First cook in the rain

Brian_S

TVWBB Fan
Looks like I'll be doing my first cook with rain in the forecast tonight. From what I have read, it shouldn't effect the WSM too much, just don't think I'll be able to use the maverick.

Oh well, the cook must go on, putting on 4 butts in an hour or two.

I would put the Maverick in a Ziplock bag, tape it up to seal around the Maverick cables and go for it.

Ended up only being light rain off and on. I think me being nervous about the rain was the biggest problem.

Lew, I thought about the ziplocs, but ended up pulling my otg up next to the wsm and leaving the unit under the lid of the otg and only having a small part of the wire exposed.

Temps holding nicely as a type, outside enjoying a cool Florida morning with a cup of coffee. Figured I'd sit here and monitor like I used to when smoking on the otg.

I place a tupperware container over my electrics in the rain. The wires are fine exposed. I place a plastic bag over my plug and receptacle. I generally run a Stoker and Maverick and have never had a moisture issue. That said, I've never weathered a full on storm during a cook
icon_smile.gif

The Maverick isn't water resistant? I have left the probe part out there in the rain and cold many a time with no issues for about 4 years of smoking. I guess I shouldn't do that.

For rainy cooks, get a "table umbrella" in the stand but with no table.

It's super big and everything stays dry.

Like this:
IMG_0913.jpg

You can just see the pole (umbrella is just out of the pic but is open--deck is nice and wet) between the genesis and the WSM. The Maverick is on the q's side table and it's dry too.

I know this is to late but: The Mav can stand a little wet. I would still put it in something to protect the transmiter. The wire´s doesent matter at all. But when cleaning them dont soak the probe and wire...water could get inside the probe(were the wire go in) and give you really strange readings. Just clean the probe with some water and a spunge.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wolgast:
I know this is to late but: The Mav can stand a little wet. I would still put it in something to protect the transmiter. The wire´s doesent matter at all. But when cleaning them dont soak the probe and wire...water could get inside the probe(were the wire go in) and give you really strange readings. Just clean the probe with some water and a spunge. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have not followed any of that. Had the Maverick out in the rain, put the probe in the dishwasher, soaked it for years now. I might want to order a replacement just in case.

Back