First Chuck roast on the WSM.

Franky C

Put a chuck roast on this morning at around 9:30am. I'm planning on using some of the meat for chili that i'm making for the super bowl.

I started off with filling the ring with charcoal and 3 chunks of apple wood, then a half chimney of lit to go on top. I started with one gallon of hot water in the water pan. This is only the second time using the wsm, and have read that they run hot until broken in. My first cook was chicken, and wide open with an empty water pan she ran around 360 for a couple of hours. Added the lit charcoal, and almost an hour later the temp wouldn't come above 210 with all vents wide open. Oh, I forgot to mention the outside temp is in the teens, with winds gusting close to 30. I decided to make the bold move of ditching the water in the pan. I had rolled out my kettle earlier, so I had a spot to put the chimney starter, so I was able to rest the top grate in the kettle while I got rid of the water. Once I did this the temp rolled right up to 275, and then got a little hotter. The grate probe on my maverick has been holding in the 280's to 290's. The built in dome thermo is right around 250-260.
Here's a couple of pics, I'll post the final product when it's done.

The plywood is part of my wind barrier, the fence and the shed are blocking it from the other sides.

16410903825_b7687ffe28.jpg

Took a peek just to get the pic.

16409129101_0685204e3a.jpg

Lookin good! I have 2, 3lb'ers on the 22.5 right now for pulled bbq beef sliders for tomorrow also. BB"s and Wings on the menu also!

Looks like that should be a great piece of meat, looking forward to seeing the finish pics.

Ok, I'm an idiot! I pulled it, put in the chili, and forgot to take more pics. I'm doing a pork butt tomorrow, I'll try again to remember pictures.

Back