First Brisket Question.

Andres L.

TVWBB Member
So a lot of what I have learned about BBQing and grilling I have learned from friends and family. Watching my father and uncles cook growing up, I have learned a lot. I try to pass on what I know to my younger friends and become somewhat of the go to guy whenever people have questions about outdoor cooking. BUT... I have never ever ever cooked a brisket nor observed anyone cook one. Guess it's just not a popular thing in my neck of the woods, so I have come here for some help.

So I plan on smoking a packer. I have done a lot of research on here and other online resources and am probably going to follow the amazingribs recepie. found here http://amazingribs.com/recipes...f/texas_brisket.html Of course I will improvise a bit because thats what BBQ is all about.

My question is about the point/flat. I guess if i'm understanding this right once brisket is done, the point is removed. I think I plan on making some burnt ends, but to me it seems like that leaves a lot of the brisket without bark. What are some techniques I can try to provide maximum bark area on most of the brisket? Am I overthinking this too much? Thanks for any advice you can give.

Forget the 190 finish temperature and cook it until it is probe tender. I think the biggest mistake people make with brisket is not cooking it long enough, the meat is dry and tough so they think they over did it when in fact it is underdone.

Andres, welcome too the forum. When I first started smoking brisket, more than a years worth, i never separated the point from the flat. I simply sliced from flat to point and used the slices closest to the point (but in the flat) for turn ins. Ate the rest. If I was cooking at home for friends I would just slice the whole thing and eat. Last year I learned to prep a little differently and to separate the flat from the point when the flat was done. The point was put back in the smoker and then cubed for burned ends. That works good too. There are some folk who shred their brisket and it tastes wonderful. Some even separate the point and flat before cooking . To each his own. If your meat developes a nice smoke ring and plenty of bark it probably has more to do with your cooking method and rub application. In my experience use plenty of rub and put the briskey on the grate before it comes to temp for max effect. And like the previous poster said, cook till tender. A lot of folks say that brisket is the hardest BBQ, I have not had that problem. Dumb luck I guess. One more thing, when picking a packer try to have as many to choose from as possible, that way you can pick one that is as equally thick from point to flat. Also look for white fat, not yellow and when holding the brisket in the middle there should be some give to the ends. Find a good restaraunt supply store if you can they usually have multiple cases available to pick from. I also suggest buying choice grade if you can find it over select. Not that you can't cook a select grade as well just have a better chance with choice.

Happy Smokin'

Mark

I get it when it comes to cooking until tender. Is there a method that others use to remove the point somewhere in the cooking process and adding more rub to the flat to develop more crust on the flat. You know to the part that the point was removed from. I guess that is my main question if that is something that people do.

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Andres, I have never done it but if you want you can separate the point and the flat before cooking and rub all sides of the flat. I think that you loose something that way. Considering all the fat that is attached betweenn the point and the flat I believe you get better flavor when both halves are joined during cooking.
Try it both ways. Buy 2 packers and separate one and not the other and see which one you like better. The cooked meat will hold in a deep freeze after vacuum pack for many months.

Mark

I will only do one this time
icon_smile.gif
How many wood chunks should I use? I think I am going to use oak, and I don't mind a strong smoke flavor, I just dont want it too overpowering. I'm thinking maybe 3 or 4 fist size chunks? Should I do more?

I would use less. I also cut my wood into quite small chunks. Perhaps 1/4 fist sized. Probably no more than 4-5 of those. Of course your cooker efficiency will also be a determing factor as to how much smoke wood to use. Cooking temp will influence how much smoke wood you use. I suggest less at 1st but that is your call.

Mark

My school of hard knocks learnings:

1. Don't trim
2. Low temp (225 target for me)
3. Don't peek (with most packers, no reason to look in first 12 hours)
4. For your first try, cut off point, chop & sauce (I put a small mound of this atop my slices of flat....with some coleslaw in a bun)

Andres, brisket can take a lot of smoke. I always use a lot of wood chunks when I do smoke bisket.Maybe as many as six. Usually three when I start and keep adding them throughout the smoke. I've never had anyone complain about being over smoked(yet
icon_biggrin.gif
)

Andres,

I cooked my first brisket last weekend and was a nervous wreck... You can read about it here: http://tvwbb.com/eve/forums/a/...0069052/m/6981048136

The first thing I will tell you is to RELAX! I did not sleep at all that night because I was so worried about messing up; looking back on it, it really was not that difficult. The only thing I would do different is cook the brisket fat side down instead of up like I did. The bottom of the brisket I cooked was a little tougher than I would have liked; cooking it fat side down would have helped I think.

I received some great advice from people on this board and I know they will take good care of you too!

Thank you all for your help. I cooked a 12 LB packer.. **** that is a big piece of meat. I rubbed and put on the smoker around 11pm. I used MM of course. Put a couple handfuls of whiskey oak chips (probably only should have used one). Cooked at 250 for about 12 hours. The last three hours I foiled with a beer in the pan. Came out great!! Made a vinegar/chipotle sauce to go with it. Thank you all for all your help!!
icon_smile.gif

a4bj.jpg

I made some sandwiches with grilled onions and sauce... I was too concerned about other things instead of taking pictures during the cook. i'll try beter next time

Back