First brisket 2morrow, charcoal question!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim_W

TVWBB Super Fan
Picked up my first brisket this morning at Sam's. Picked up 2 bags of that Sams Choice 60% larger charcoal to try. I have plenty of Kingsford on hand, but was thinking of tryin this Sammy stuff out. Anyone have any experiences with Sams Choice (60%larger)charcoal?

Thanks, Jim

This from a Google-cached rbjb.com thread:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Posted by Silent Smoker on July 28, 2002 at 09:09:51:

I bought a 10lb bag of Sam's Choice charcoal from Wally World. Thought I'd check it out. It actually scared me. The stuff fizzes like gunpowder that is ignited. It pops pretty good too. I actually grew concerned about opening the fire box lid because I had 7-8 lbs in my charcoal ring catching on and it was making a racket. I thought to myself, when I open this door is the oxygen rush going to blow this stuff all over me? It stinks also. So, I had another beverage and left it alone. I didn't want to waste the meat.

Just in case you haven't tried it - don't!
Thomas <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Also-- it's not the stuff that says "instant lighting" is it?

Interesting Doug, I haven't used it yet! I do have a chimney full ready for ignition for a chicken cook tonight on my kettle. Thought that might be a safer test than going with a full ring on my first brisket. Glad I read your reply before I lit the fire! I guess I will pour it back in the bag and use Kingsford. Might light some of it for a no cook test burn.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back