First big(ish) cook

This past weekend was my birthday and I decided to have a party for myself and do the cooking. I did two 9 pound butts and 3 racks of spares on the WSM. I got up at 4:30 a.m. and got the butts going, put the spares on at around 10:00. Butts came off at 4:30 with an internal temp of 181. I foiled the ribs at this time and put them in the cooler to rest a bit. Those got another 45 minutes unfoiled on the cooker just before we ate, to set the sauce and get them nice and crusty. The butts were excellent, best I've had if I do say so myself! Ribs were good too, got a little bit of jerky on the skinniest parts where there were no bones, but tasty at the same time.

Only mistake I think was lighting too many coals in the beginning. I did it MM style, but I think I lit too many to start. I got up prety hot and had to close it down for a while to get the temp back down where I wanted it, but it all worked out well. I ended up adding fuel at the end to finish the ribs. Sorry...no pics, I was making sure everyone got fed and forgot about the darned camera.

Back