first baby back smoke - a couple of questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Griffin

TVWBB Member
Hi all,

I did my first smoke yesterday - baby backs. It went pretty good. I did leave them on too long though - but they were still good.

I want to throw a few questions to you all. My first question has to do with temperature. When you fire up the WSM using the standard method and then asemble the cooker and then leaving it for an hour. What normally is the lid temp? I waited 2 hours before putting my ribs on yesterday because my lid temp would not drop below 280*. (bottom vents closed. top open) My WSM is brand new which I know was a factor.

My other question is regarding the tear test. Do you pull the 2 bones apart (away from each other) or do you tear them like you would tear a piece of paper?? (I hope that make sense) The reason I ask is because when I was checking for doneness I was trying to pull them apart as opposed to tearing them with resistence so I left them on longer.......actually too long!

Pleaselet me know what you think!

John

John
1st No need to wait an hour before putting the meat on, once the pit temp got that high bring it down with that much charcoal burning temp just won't come down easily. Put the ribs on right away and control the temp as it climbs stopping it at say 235 to 250? if measured at the lid.
2nd The tear test is not a good test for someone with only a few cooks under their belt. Babybacks can be easily measured with a thermometer. once they reach 185 to 190? their done. The other test would to be use a toothpick that would would slide into the rack between the bones, it will feel like it's being slide into butter when their done.
Jim

jjgriffmn

Reread Cris's section under tips and modifications on firing up using the Standard method. First you put in the lit coals then the unlit on top. When all are grayed over you assemble the cooker. Add cool water to the water pan. The temp will be high, maybe 400, but keep all bottom vents closed. When it gets down to 350, add the meat - maybe 300 if you don't have very much meat. It will continue to fall and you should adjust the bottom vents to stabilize it in the dome range of 235 to 265 (IMO). Remember to use small incremental changes in the vents. Once it stabilizes it will hold and hold ... and h o l d. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

PRG

I to did my first smoke yesterday on my WSM. And it was the first time I've done spare ribs.
I did'nt think they had all that much flavor. Tasted like cooked pork. But as Jim pointed out to me the rub is the key along with the right BBQ sauce. Getting two that compliment each other is the trick. That's how you get great ribs. I just had a light dusting of some all around rub. And I was pretty stingy when I applied it. Next time I'll find a better rub and BBQ sauce.

When I cooked my ribs I used the minion method. Let the cooker sit for about 20 minutes then put the ribs on. Thats when I started measuring grate temps. It started at around 160f. The slowely climbed to around 230f. This took about 35 minutes or so. Then I closed the bottom vents all the way and it then platued around the middle 240's. I could'nt believe how easy it was to control the temps in this thing.
Although when I pulled them at the 3 hour mark and foiled them. I did stir the coals and adjust the wood to get it smoking again. Then dumped some hot water in the pan. Then after replacing the foiled ribs the temp quickly climbed to 275! So I had to close the top vent 3\4 of the way to kill the fire a bit. Then after it got down to the 240s again I opened the top vent back up. And it stayed around 255f the rest of the cook.

I think next time I'll just add a some ice to the pan to cool it down faster instead of closing the top vent. I also had the WSM sitting in the sun the whole cook. So I'm sure that was a factor.

Thank you all very much! I can't wait till my next smoke!

It all makes sense now!

It's amazing - once my temp did come down. my lid temp was locked at 240* and top grate at 225*, just where I needed to be. Unfortunately, my waiting 2 hours before putting the ribs on got me in the end. I had to add fuel....of well!

Now I know! less anxiety next time!!!

P.S. getting a maverick soon, can't wait to do a butt.

Thanks again.
John

It sounds like you did everything right, except for waiting for the temps to drop below 280 before putting the ribs on. Putting your ribs on would have brought your temps down from 280 to the cooking range very quickly. I usually put my ribs on when my lid temp has dropped to the 300-310 range. Adding cool meat (even room temp meat) drops the temps right into the 240-250 range pretty quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back