Finally tried meatloaf on the WSM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Susan Z

TVWBB Guru
It rocked!

Friend had 2 lbs of ground venison, so I added a pound of pork and basically used Chris' recipe. Only diverted in the sauce, where I thru in some sriracha (spicy "Thai ketchup" ) to the sauce to kick up the heat a tad, and oooh was it good.

Two chunks of cherry wood were just perfect! Who knew?

I done one about my fouth weekend I had my wsm. I had smoked every weekend twice a couple of weekends. Anyhow the budget didn't allow any smokin. That is when it hit me. We had plenty of ground beef in the freezer. I was havin a smokin jones so I smoked me a meatloaf. I didn't have any sausage so I haven't tried it that way yet.
icon_wink.gif

Smokin a meatloaf is kind of like owning a Harley. If I have to explain it you just wouldn't understand.

It does rock, doesn't it?

Jeff, I know what you mean, everytime we tell someone that smoked meatloaf is one of our favorites, we get that are you crazy look.

Joel

Meatloaf fans: my favorite for leftovers is to slice and broil till brown...mmmmmm

That does sound good Steve. I am going to have to remember that. The only problem is I never seem to have any leftovers.

I guess that means I need to make a bigger meatloaf.
icon_biggrin.gif

Sorry, Greg! I forgot my camera (did this at my friend's farm---only the third cook I think we've done on the WSM she bought so I could cook stuff when I'm up there), and it didn't occur to me to use my friend's. D'oh! Doin' a prime rib up there on Sunday, so maybe just maybe there will be pics of that (barring disaster).

hmmmmmmmmmm I got some an MRE meatloaf........wonder if I could smoke that NOT.

Wassup Suzan? Sounds like I am gonna have to do me a meatloaf.........the wife doesn't like them but hey..........means more loaf for me
icon_smile.gif

Also like the idea of broiling a slice or two the next day...then put it on a piece of toasted sourdough bread...........and make a sandwich.

I'm in the same boat Matt. I really want to try the meatloaf, but my wife & kids don't seem very keen on the idea. They like so many other things that I haven't tried the meatloaf yet.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MattJ:

Wassup Suzan? Sounds like I am gonna have to do me a meatloaf.........the wife doesn't like them but hey..........means more loaf for me
icon_smile.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Go for it you guys and likely your reluctant families will be glad you did. The difference is like a pan fried hamburger to one done on a charcoal grill.

I use a piece of parchment paper cut to fit. Grease drains, and it has not prevented smoke ring from forming on the bottom. Keeps meatloaf from wedging and sticking between grate bars.

Use lean ground meats, go easy on the liquids, binders and smoke wood.

They are awesome. My fav so far is Southwest where I put salsa in instead of milk, cumin, garlic, dry cilantro leaves and dry minced onion, chipotle powder and serve with fresh veggies, sour cream, fresh salsa, grated cheese, guacamole and tortilla chips.

Hey Jeff E. My family wasn't crazy about meatloaf neither. Last time I did them I did two at the same time figureing that I had lunch for a couple of days. Well they may not like reagular meat loaf but they loved smoked meatloaf....the only leftovers that I had were just enough to add a topping to a pizza!!!
icon_smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back