Fill water pan during cook with transmission fluid funnel

Monty House

TVWBB Pro
To be had for probably under 3 bucks at your friendly auto parts store. Works great.

DSCN0659.jpg

Simple, yet perfect. It's one of those ideas that make you wonder why you didn't think about it previously.

Great suggestion! Thanks.

Eric

Lots of free options, too, like 1-gallon plastic milk jug, 2-liter soda bottle,
64-ounce ketchup bottle, or wine bottle. I've never found a funnel necessary.

Regards,
Chris

I figured out a long time ago the 2 gallon watering can with the long neck was the ticket. Mine is galvanized and the rosette can be unscrewed so I have a 1/2" or so open spigot to fill the pan with. I already had the watering can for the deck flowers so I guess the cost was sort of "free" when I re-tasked it for the WSM as well.

At night I also have a 3 watt LED miners/hikers type headlamp that straps on my head and puts the beam of light where I'm looking. Leaves both hands free and I have not had a spill or overfill since I started using this light and the long neck watering can. Light looks sort of silly, but it works. Plenty bright to cut through any smoke spilling out the open door too.

Originally posted by Chris Allingham:
Lots of free options, too, like 1-gallon plastic milk jug, 2-liter soda bottle

Chris, not exactly sure how you do it neatly through the door with no spillage using a 1 gal. milk jug, but glad it works.

Originally posted by Monty House:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chris Allingham:
Lots of free options, too, like 1-gallon plastic milk jug, 2-liter soda bottle

Chris, not exactly sure how you do it neatly through the door with no spillage using a 1 gal. milk jug, but glad it works. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>The only time I add water through the access door is to top it off every 2 hours. For the initial fill at the beginning, I pour down into the bowl from above the middle cooking section, then add meat, smoke wood, etc. To top off the pan, I fill the milk jug fully. I just get the mouth of the jug over the edge of the pan and pour. It doesn't take that much water and with a full jug you don't have to tip it very high. Never made a mess by spilling into the charcoal.

Regards,
Chris

Originally posted by Monty House:
Chris, your method makes perfect sense, but it assumes finesse & coordination. Not strong suits of mine.
Wow, you must be pretty messed up, my friend, because I guarantee it takes about zero finesse and coordination.
icon_smile.gif

Regards,
Chris

Wow, Chris is posting! Good to see, too! Still a old school water in the pan bullet guy, I hope?
icon_wink.gif

Monty, just how much do you drink in a cook?
icon_razz.gif

I MacGyver it & use a flexible cutting board shaped into a funnel through which I pour the water....if that is, I just don't pour in from the top!

I have improvised with a folded piece of cardboard on more than one occasion.

If the smoker is not really full I just pour from the top but sometimes there is too much food in the way.

Back