Fatty ’Cue Spareribs on the WSM

Peter Gallagher

TVWBB Wizard
There has been discussion about fish sauce around these parts that I believe started with conversation of this recipe which j biesinger posted a couple of weeks ago. We thought we'd give it a shot this weekend:

6868844848_b7ba2efedf_z.jpg

After brining the ribs over night in the fish sauce, water and spices, they get dusted with ground long pepper.

6868844562_2115dbb5a9_z.jpg

Did them on WSM for 3 hours at 240, then wrapped them with a little watered down fish sauce and palm sugar for about 2 more hours:

7014955153_6fa5da70ca_z.jpg

sliced and then...

7014954813_c03be57fdd_z.jpg

...plated with some sesame udon salad with cucumber napa cabbage and mixed greens. This rib recipe is outstanding. it's super simple yet the combination of flavors is wonderful and complex. Thanks to Jay for posting it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Excellent ribs Peter! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yeah, real nice job. Always love the Asian food profiles... Great pics too.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by fritz:
What wood did you use if any at all? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Fritz - I used a couple of chunks of some nice apple. We seem to have a lot of that here in WA state, so I pretty much use it for everything.

when you wrapped them, i assume you put them back on for the remaining 2hrs?

After the brine, did you rinse or just pat dry (the Times recipe didnt say)?

Ive been looking for an asian recipe for smoked ribs and i think i found one. looks awesome!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by fritz:
when you wrapped them, i assume you put them back on for the remaining 2hrs?

After the brine, did you rinse or just pat dry (the Times recipe didnt say)?
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

After the brining I rinsed them thoroughly (but gently) You need to get that stuff off the slabs. Pat dried, put them uncovered in the fridge for a couple of hours. Took them out about an hour before I put them on and dusted them with the long pepper.

you are correct - I basted them with a little watered down fish sauce and sugar, foiled them with couple of tablespoons of the baste, and put them back on for another 2 hours before hitting them with the glaze. Easy stuff, but so good!

Back