Fatties and eggs for breakfast

I just did 2 fatties this morning.
Last night I flattened a pound of Jimmy Dean sage into a rectangle, spread it with finely chopped chipotle peppers, roasted red peppers, and onions. Spread a layer of mozarella on it and rolled it up. Did my best to seal it up, but the sausage was a little thin and I had holes in it. Cheese puked all over. The other, a Jimmy Dean regular I left whole for the kids. (Not the adventerous type). I indirected them on my Weber kettle, dome temp 350 until they were at 165 internal, about an hour and a half. The rolled one looked gross but it was GREAT. The regular one was also very good.

It makes a HUGE difference on what kind of sausage you use. Last ones I did were store brand. Way to salty, and huge shrinkage. Jimmy Dean was way more better.

Next: Firing up the Brinkmann for 3 meatloafs.

That's awesome. A couple of weeks ago I did some beef ribs on the WSM, and there was plenty of heat left over so I threw on a roll of Bob Evans breakfast sausage for 3.5 hours or so, with one added fresh chunk of wood.

Not much shrinkage, great flavor and a real good smoke ring. What I found interesting is it may be better served cold. Sliced and served with some crackers and cheese.

It never occured to me to stuff it with anything. Some roasted red peppers stuffed in it would be pretty awesome I bet.

Michael

Taking fatties to the next level - a most excellent idea. I get the big Jimmy Dean sausage from Sam's for my fatties - ecomomical and delicious. Especially good for 30 seconds woth of prep time.

To keep cheese from melting purchase some high temp cheese that they put in sausage. Try sights like Butcher Packer or LEM. You can order it by the pound. A little expensive but it won't melt when you use it. A lb will go a long ways. They will also have multi varities to choose from.

Several makers have now come out with a maple-flavored breakfast sausage - Owens comes to mind immediately, there may be others. Talk about making a GOOD fattie! You have the spice and the slightly sweet working in the sausage, and it's really topped off nicely with a spicy rub like Smoking Guns Hot, and a light glaze of Blues Hog. Yum...

Keri C, still smokin' on Tulsa Time
Hot Wire BBQ

I took one of the Jimmy Dean Maple sausages and poked a big hole lenghwise through it. Then poured it full of the Vinegar, brown sugar and mustard sauce for old man jim's meatloaf. Then sealed up the end and put a bbq rub on the outside. was tasty when it came off.

Back