Fathers Day At my Place

Ernest Buckley

TVWBB Fan
So this past year I started BBQing and to everyones surprise, including myself, I`m actually good at this. Actually my brother in laws have simply put me in charge of anything with outside cooking at this point. My wife also thought it would be a cool idea to have Fathers Day at my place because I could BBQ and we would not have to travel if we had all the dads in one place. Good idea!

However, I am stressing a bit. I do plan on smoking some pork shoulder (pulled pork) a day or two before and I also have plans for a chicken dish, and the old standbys: burgers and dogs. What I would like are some other ideas: side dishes and perhaps another main course which is a little off the beaten path.

Thankfully my family is game for pretty much all types of... game. Any recipes I should consider for Fathers Day that will make it memorable?

Thanks,
EB

Ernest,

For a side or app, ABT's are always a winner at my house. You could also do up a fattie if you feel like your arteries are up for it.

For the chicken check out Bryan S's roadside chicken recipe Hereits real tasty.

For an alternative, I recently smoked some salmon w/alder wood that turned out pretty nice.

Of course there is always ribs, brisket, etc.

Sounds like fun, I need to get my menu together as well.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ernest Buckley:
What is ABT? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
You can make these endless ways. With cream cheese or with some other cheese you like. You can suff them with crab... the variations are endless. Link to 1 of many ABT threads.

Ernest,

I too am hosting father's day for the same reasons.

When I trim my spar ribs st. louis, I save the trimmings to make rib tips. I've made 6 or so slabs and not touched the tips, which are frozen, so I'll be cooking those up.

I'm also making 2 meatloafs on the smoker. If you have a meatloaf recipe, make it a bit wetter by adding worchestersire sauce, vinegar, an egg, etc. I follow a recipe from smoke n spice and cook in a pan on the smoker for 45 minutes, then remove and smoke an addition 1.5 hours or so. It is amazing how good this makes meatloaf taste.

I wanted to do something out of the ordinary, as I almost always make pulled pork because its easy, cheap and serves a crowd.

On the side I'll make a homemade mac n cheese and a spinach salad for the people that like veggies.

I'm tempted to make some bbq nachos after watching an episode of down home with the neelys, but that might be too much.

The 1 side I like to do for something different is smoked deviled eggs. Place your hard boil eggs in the smoker when you have the smoke process going on. 20 minutes check for brownness on the eggs. Make your regular devil with yolks. Little garlic powder dusting and serve. DO NOT I DO NOT slice the eggs in half until after you have smoked them. If you do they will be tuff.

Back