Fat Johnny's Bastardized Piedmont Sauce

Well, I added a little more sugar and SBR sauce (some sweet to counter the heat). I think my problem may have been that I was tasting entire spoonfuls of the sauce. A couple tablespoons on a PP sammy and this stuff is great!

I have been smoking butts on my WSM for many years and always use Carolina Red sauce from Smoke & Spice. I have been looking to try something different this weekend and tripped over this thread. This recipe has a lot of vinegar which is the prevailing flavor in Carolina Red. Do they taste very similar?

I made a batch of this yesterday for some pulled pork I did, and it was dynamite. I really like this a lot. I plan to use it on some spares I am doing tomorrow.

Made up another batch of this tonight, Man it's good stuff!!!
icon_cool.gif

Edit: I forgot to mention that I use Sorghum Molasses in place of the brown sugar in this recipe.

You talk about great timing... I have two pork shoulders wrapped and in cooler for this evening.. just finished some Carolina Red when I noticed this post.... have batch cooling down right now.... I don't need a judge to tell me that this stuff is AWESOME.... thanks for the great post
wsmsmile8gm.gif

For some reason I do not like the taste of apple cider vinegar. I genrally use white distilled vinegar in my sauces. Can I substitute white vinegar in this recipe? Or if you could suggest another type of vinegar I would appreciate it. I use Trader Joe's white balsamic vinegar in my salads and like it a lot.

John

John

Originally posted by John Vale:
For some reason I do not like the taste of apple cider vinegar. I genrally use white distilled vinegar in my sauces. Can I substitute white vinegar in this recipe? Or if you could suggest another type of vinegar I would appreciate it. I use Trader Joe's white balsamic vinegar in my salads and like it a lot.

John

John
John, I say this often here on the forum. No recipe is written in stone, and I rarely follow a recipe to a T. Use what you like, and leave out what you don't like. You are the one eating it, so it's important that you like it.
icon_wink.gif
icon_biggrin.gif

I assume this should be loose like a standard Piedmont or maybe just a little thicker.

Trying this today as a second sauce to serve with the standard Carolina Red.

I liked so copied Bryan's mods this way though:

1 TBS salt
1 tsp celery salt
1/2 TBS Aleppo instead of red pepper flakes
1/2 TBS Pasilla
1/8 t (heavy) smoked paprika

I sub'd in a full t of Temeraire Dijon for the dry mustard in the recipe

I sub'd in blackstrap for the brown sugar

We'll see how it turns out.

Originally posted by r benash:
I assume this should be loose like a standard Piedmont or maybe just a little thicker.

Trying this today as a second sauce to serve with the standard Carolina Red.

I liked so copied Bryan's mods this way though:

1 TBS salt
1 tsp celery salt
1/2 TBS Aleppo instead of red pepper flakes
1/2 TBS Pasilla
1/8 t (heavy) smoked paprika

We'll see how it turns out.

I liked it. I think I might go heavier on the Dijon next time as well as the smoked paprika - simply use the chipotle which would add heat and smoke flavor.

Very nice, flavorful option to the typical Carolina Red. I served both along with the drippings/finishing sauce as well as a bottle of the standard dark KC masterpiece.

One of the advantages of this recipe is that this will keep for a long, long time because of the amount of vinegar. It make a nice quantity.

You end up with well over a quart. So you will have plenty left to modify real time based on your experience.

This is a great recipe with great flavor.

Originally posted by r benash:

Yeah Ray, I use Mister Mustard Hot instead of the dry powder, about a TBS or so. I also use Sorghum molasses instead of the brown sugar.

Low Carb Anybody? Here is my revision 3 of low carb/sugar low salt (relatively) carolina red. pretty spicy but you can spice up/down to taste and add salt for guests.

1/4c Canola Oil
3T Minced shallots
6 cloves minced garlic
1C cider vinegar
1tsp celery seed
2ea cloves (or small pinch ground)
1T Dry Mustard
2tsp New Mexico chili powder (mild or to taste)
3/4C Erythritol (Z-Sweet) fake sugar.
(Splenda doesn't boil well)
2T Blackstrap Molasses (no fake brown sugar)
1.5C Ketchup (Homemade low carb see below)
1/2C Water
1tsp Cayenne pepper

Simmer shallots and garlic in oil in saucepan.
Add all other ingredients and simmer 30 min very low heat.
Whiz in blender after cooling if you don't want chunks from onion and garlic
Adjust heat by amount of cayenne, type of chili powder and type of dry mustard.

Makes 1Qt and keeps 2 weeks in fridge at least.

I have started using homemade ketchup and store ketchup has a funny aftertaste to it. Paul Kirk has some great recipes but this is a low carb I use. I ususally double or triple it and use it for everything.

Makes 1.5C
6oz Tomato Paste
2/3C cider vinegar
1/3C Splenda
2T minced onion
2cloves Garlic
1tsp Salt (optional)
1/8tsp allspice
1/8tsp ground cloves (optional)
1/8tsp black pepper

Put everything in the blender at room temp and blend on high until onion and garlic dissappear

It is also fun to play with the spice profile for use with appetizers/dip using things like Harisa, hungarian paprika or other international spice blends.

I was kind of surprised at how hot this sauce was. Also, I think my lemon was a tad tart, so next time I'll add a little at a time....and yes, it's a bit too much salt.

After doctoring with some different stuff: some brown sugar, black strap molasses, white pepper, garlic powder, a little ketchup, more SBR, I was still scratching my head at why anyone would describe it as being similiar to Blues Hog TN Red. Anyway, I had some in the fridge, so you know what I did next to "take the edge off" and sweeten it up a bit. It tasted "complete" after I added the BHTR.I renamed it "kitchen sink sauce"...as in everything but...and it went really good on pork butt last night.

Don't take this as a dis' on the recipe. I just think there should've been a bit more disclosure on how hot it is. On the other hand, I've been looking for a "hot" bbq sauce recipe for years, and I think this is the best one I've tried yet! A few tweaks to it, and no need to look any further, as far as I'm concerned.

Originally posted by Bryan S:
I just made a batch of this up. It's bottled up and cooling down. First taste was WOW! that's got a nice bite and twang to it. IMO it will go real well with the 4 Butts I did yesterday for my Nephews grad party this coming Saturday. Thanks for posting the recipe Keri.
icon_cool.gif

My changes to the recipe. I tried to keep it spicey but not hot for the 35-40 guests at the party. Came out just perfect, right in the middle.
1 TBS salt
1 tsp celery salt
1/2 TBS Aleppo instead of flakes
1/2 TBS Chipotle

I missed that. Yep, definately will try those mods next time. Thanks, Bryan

My family finds the original recipe OK on the heat, but a little too "vinegary".

I mix the original recipe 50/50 with Sweet Baby Rays and I can't keep the stuff around.

I've made gallons of the bastardized bastardized sauce.

Ron

Just made a batch of this and it smells great!!! Thanks Keri. Got two pieces of shoulder on the smoker due to come of in a bit, can't wait to try it out!
wsmsmile8gm.gif

I have a batch of this going as we speak. It is more then I can use for this go round. How well would this freeze? I figure I would freeze batches then vac seal. Any opinions?

Sauces of this type freeze well. I usually just van first then freeze but you can go the other way around. Mix well after thawing for use.

Back