Falling apart brisket

KenP

TVWBB Pro
My wife prefers pulled pork to sliced or chopped, and fork tender pot roast to sliced.

She likes it falling apart.

Has anyone done this with brisket and was it anygood? What temp, if I do this, should I look for? I understand checking doneness with a probe for sliced, but what about this way?

Or is this just stupid and should I cook it normal?

I plan on doing BOB this weekend so please check this thread as I'll probably have questions after I get the meat and know the weights.

The first time that I made brisket I left in the foil way too long and it turned into a pot roast equivalent. Personally, I felt like a wasted a lot of time and effort for a unsatisfactory product. I don't remember exactly, but the intenal temperature was in the 200-205 degree range maybe.

I'd recommend going a different direction if you really want pot roast: try this. Chuck roast can be prepared a number of ways that will turn out delicious.

Originally posted by Pete Z:
The first time that I made brisket I left in the foil way too long and it turned into a pot roast equivalent. Personally, I felt like a wasted a lot of time and effort for a unsatisfactory product. I don't remember exactly, but the intenal temperature was in the 200-205 degree range maybe.

I'd recommend going a different direction if you really want pot roast: try this. Chuck roast can be prepared a number of ways that will turn out delicious.
Thanks. That sounds like a plan. I told my wife and she likes the idea.

Ken,

It's not stupid, rather a matter of personal preference much like 'fall off the bone' ribs vs ribs with a slight chew. There's been many a time that I've experience 'very well done brisket' in a commercial establishment.

To achieve a 'well done brisket', temps are not so much in play, rather time is. Brisket is ready when it's ready. To go beyond a state of tenderness where the meat easily yields to a probe, I'd recommend foiling, and leaving it on for an additional 20 mins. Check it periodically with a probe or fork. By foiling, you'll prevent the meat from drying out which is common with over cooked meat.

Sometimes I get request for chopped brisket. Myself I like it sliced. I will get the meat clever remove a few slices for me then chop up the whole brisket. The point is more fat, the flat more lean. Once it is all chopped together it makes for a good balance.

Thaks guys, not sure what I'll do now...
icon_confused.gif
icon_frown.gif

My first attempt with a "Kobe" brisket turned into a "pulled brisket" that, while delicious, was not what I was expecting. Still, it shredded onto long, juicy-ish strands.

It made a Hell of a sandwich, too.

Well price should be the factor. For me I can get packers at Super Wal Mart for $1.72lb. while a chuck roast is over $3.00 a lb. not on sale. Unless you buy a chuck roll ($1.99lb. @ BJ's), which is still higher, I'd do the brisket if it's cheaper for you. JMO
icon_wink.gif
High heat it and foil it once it reaches 165 in the flat. Seperate the point and flat and foil the flat and cook another 2-2.5 hrs. I'd check for tender at the 90 min mark after foiled and once the just tender stage is reached, cook it for another 30-45 min. Then let rest for an hour. Total cook time should be about 5 hrs at 325-350 grate temps. Put the point on the lower grate and render it out or cool and freeze after the seperating for later use.
icon_smile.gif

well, i usually cook my brisket to about 195 deg or so and then wrap it up and let it rest in a cooler for at least 1 hour. it comes out soft but sliceable the way i like it. well, wifey wanted one to shred. so i just cooked it to about 225 and then wrapped it and rested it and it turned out shredable. not to hard. i cook mine at an average temp of 275 deg on my kettle and so far i've been happy with that. personally for shredded beef i prefer a big chuck.

Comparing prices of brisket vs. chuck roast is not straight forward because there is so much external fat on a brisket.

A 10 lb brisket may have 2-3 lbs of external fat while a chuck roast will have much less. Usually a tri tip roast or churck roast is not that much different in cost after considering the all the external fat of a brisket.

John

Originally posted by J Reyes:
Comparing prices of brisket vs. chuck roast is not straight forward because there is so much external fat on a brisket.

A 10 lb brisket may have 2-3 lbs of external fat while a chuck roast will have much less. Usually a tri tip roast or churck roast is not that much different in cost after considering the all the external fat of a brisket.

John
Well you must get Tri-Tip for like $2.00 a lb. It costs me $5.99-$6.99 here.
icon_eek.gif
Like I said before, I would use brisket.
icon_wink.gif

Back