Excess Smoke

Allan Jones

TVWBB Member
Just fired up the 18 incher with 18 lbs butts, full load of charcoal briquettes in Minion method for over night cook.
Have 2 fists of apple and hickory on top/buried.
After 1 hour it is still smoking heavily.
Is this normal?

Yes, white and it is now slowing!
Just nervous as I normally let most of the smoke burn off on a normal load.
Added to last week's scorching two chickens on the gasser roto:(

Thanks for comment!

I only smoke wood for the first hour or so and then I'm done too. I like smoke flavor, not smoke saturation

You did mention that you buried some, so yes you will get more white smoke after an hour vs just placing some on-top.

Tim

The over night cook went very good. In fact it is at 199*
I have a 6 hour wait to serving.
Should I foil and hold in a warming oven to serving time and then pull or should I pull now and hold meat in covered dutch pot in warming oven!

Double foil, wrap in a towel and put in a cooler it will keep, don't pull until you are ready to serve

Can almost never have to much smoke flavor for me.

I'm the same, i use quite a lot of wood compared to most on here it seems, especially when it comes to pork shoulder, a pork butt can take a lot of smoke and still taste great. My girlfriend and I just love a really smokey flavour.

I can't remember ever over smoking a pork butt or brisket with a wsm. Matter of fact, while some cooks had a better smoke flavor than others, I can't say that I've over smoked anything in one. Wood burning smokers are a whole different story, though, and I absolutely RUINED the first spares I ever tried to smoke. While thin blue smoke is important for log burning smokers, it's somewhat of a lofty goal when using a charcoal smoker.

i have a question about smoke. when I first put my meat on I throw 3-4 palm size chunks of wood on the charcoals and it starts smoking. Is this a waste? should I throw one piece on and then when the smoke starts to die throw another piece on? or just load it all in at once?

i have a question about smoke. when I first put my meat on I throw 3-4 palm size chunks of wood on the charcoals and it starts smoking. Is this a waste? should I throw one piece on and then when the smoke starts to die throw another piece on? or just load it all in at once?

Mike, it's just preference. Add as needed until the meat has the color you want, or use the Minion method to moderate the rate of smoking. By that, I mean to mix the wood in with the unlit charcoal by burying some (butts or brisket) and placing wood on top around the edges of the charcoal ring on top of the unlit. Works great as long as you don't spread the lit charcoal all over the top layer. I prefer to fill the ring with unlit, and scoop out some in the center to make a crater where I'll pour the lit.

Last edited:

Back