Evenness of indirect heat with Genesis 3 burner?

Jim W.

TVWBB Fan
I am seriously considering an LP gas Weber GENESIS 335 (3 burner). 95% of our use is two people but I really want a side burner so the 335 is my smallest Weber gas option. I like the Crafted griddle.

For baking and roasting, how even is the Heat with just the left burner on? Could you bake bread on the griddle? How about roasting a large spatchcock chicken?

IDK how you bake bread on a griddle. As for evenness of heat with one burner on. That really is not even possible. You would only be producing heat over the lit burner falling off across the grill as you get further from the burner

IDK how you bake bread on a griddle. As for evenness of heat with one burner on. That really is not even possible. You would only be producing heat over the lit burner falling off across the grill as you get further from the burner
Thanks. Still trying to picture how useful a gas grill would be for me. I have a 22" kettle, 18" WSM, and a propane Weber Q (which doesn't get much use)

I like to imagine that the 3 burner Genesis with a griddle insert and side burner would allow a lot of cooking to shift outside instead of in the kitchen. Will do some more reading and thinking. Some of you may be surprised but when I suggested to the spouse that a propane grill would be good she had doubts. I got the impression that she thought it might not truly be needed in addition to the 4 charcoal Webers, the dutch oven table, the Q, the Gas Go-Anywhere, etc.

Yah, that is surprising. Now, if you were talking about another coal burner, I could see an issue, but the full sized gasser is almost a necessity.

I like to imagine that the 3 burner Genesis with a griddle insert and side burner would allow a lot of cooking to shift outside instead of in the kitchen
It would. I think you may have been confusing terminology. A grill gas or coal. By all means you could bake in it. Wife does it (with my help) doing burner setting. There is no reason a quality griddle plate would not increase the usefulness of a good gas grill. You just threw me when you asked about baking bread on a griddle

I have the EXP 335 and love it especially after having a Gensis Silver A for 21 years. The 4th searing burner on the right really gets things cooking. I use the side burner especially for searing meat when I'm making pot roast, chile verde, etc, just take the dutch oven out there and go for it. Keeps the greasy mess out of the kitchen. I have the grill plate, the first thing I did with was make a mess of carne asada and it works great. My lovely wife got it for my birthday year before last. See the post I did on a pork roast I was asking for help on.

Bruce was right about the Q I got-now for the two of us thats all I use, my Genesis A just sits unused. I would have no use for a larger 3 or 4 burner gas grill. Performer gets all the use when it comes to larger portion cooking.

Thanks. Still trying to picture how useful a gas grill would be for me. I have a 22" kettle, 18" WSM, and a propane Weber Q (which doesn't get much use)

I like to imagine that the 3 burner Genesis with a griddle insert and side burner would allow a lot of cooking to shift outside instead of in the kitchen.
Tonight I cooked chicken and bacon outside, covered patio in with a windy rainy evening. Why make a mess on the stove.

I cook fish on the E330.

I use my wok on the side burner of the E330.

If it splatters and smells I cook it outside.

Dan, I have taken to cooking bacon on my Q200. It is quick and mess free for the most part. At least I don't grease covered pans and a stove top to clean. I usually change out the drip pan soon after though. I seriously can tell the difference between grilled and fried bacon either.

I should have disclaimed that my wife has cooked 95% of the dinners, other than grilling or smoking meat, for the past 23+ years. I retired in December and want to do more cooking. I think I'll defer this purchase until next spring after I've developed more "whole meal" skills.

Last spring I built an island in the backyard with room for gas & propane grills behind. (See photo-I've since removed the flammable vines behind). It's great for the very occasional party, bbq staging, etc. Jims Island.jpg

@Jim W. nice backyard. Since you have a WSM and a Kettle you have the smoking and coal grilling covered.

You might look into a used E330. I don't know where in SoCal you but looking on FBM here's an example for $300

The side burner is decent on the E330s, and the left hand side sear zone is great for a quick cook. I have a cast iron griddle that fits on half. I can fit a half sheet pan on on side as a holding area. I've never "baked" on the E330 nor do I do long indirect or low-and slow cooks because I have other choices.

Some here love the front control plus sear burner, some don't. I'm just tossing more ideas out for you to consider. This was just a quick search and it popped up as an example.

1711305297681.png

One more question / suggestion: do you have power on the island? You might consider a portable induction burner. I don't own one but it is on my "someday-maybe" list.

here's a couple threads if you are interested.

One more question / suggestion: do you have power on the island? You might consider a portable induction burner. I don't own one but it is on my "someday-maybe" list.

here's a couple threads if you are interested.
Doh! Yes. It has a 20 amp circuit with 6 outlets. We have a cheap induction burner that’s ok except for having a small 6” diameter active zone. It’s worth playing with.

Back