Even bore boring bacon, and a nipple slip or two

Geir Widar

TVWBB Wizard
In spite of all the bacon posts, some might not tried it yet.
It's easy, a piece of cake, and the result is way beyond the stuff you can buy at most stores.
Funfact- less than 30% of "smoked food" you can buy here in Norway is actually smoked. The rest is sprayed with liquid smoke. I wonder what it's like in the US. I have no idea.

Head over to the charcuterie forum for everything you need to get started, knowledgewise.

I like to dry salt my bacon, as it removes some of the water. Takes three days, but if it suits you, wait for a week. Works like charm. Some pieces of belly loses lots of liquid, others almost nothing. It does not really matter.

Prep the WSM with a snake ring, and some wood. Oak is nice, apple is nice, junipher is nice.. You get the idea.

Rinse the belly the day before, and leave to dry up in a cool place. You do not have to be too picky, because the meat is already salted, but lower than 60F is something you'd want.

DSC_0991_zpsc8ae53db.jpg

Did you notice the nipples? They are a normal part of every mammal, and tastes just the same as the rest of the rind. I like to keep the rind on the bacon, but if you do not want to eat it, remove it before smoking.

Place the belly in the WSM. Omit the water pan, or foil it. There is no need to add water. I normally leave the vents half open, but your climate might be different. You can get more than six hours of smoke from a snake, giving you a temperature of 150F. If you add smoke wood to the whole snake, you will end up with bacon with a strong smoke taste. That's what I'm looking for.

Regarding food safety, I do not bother to go much higher, as I live in Norway, and meats are safe. No worries. If you want to take the meat to over 170f to be safe, it's easy to finish off the meat in the oven/stove. Takes less time, and noone knows that you have been cheating.

After six hours in heavy smoke at 150F, your belly should look something like this:

DSC_0997_zpsa6eb7222.jpg

And this:

DSC_0998_zpsdefd7d6d.jpg

Slice it up. If you smoke your bacon for six hours, let it rest for a week. Go ahead and freeze it, it does not matter, but the taste will change from a quite bitter and overwhelming taste to a rich and delicious smoked flavor, with a long aftertaste.

DSC_1002_zpsa9fef4a3.jpg

Now, this is my last bacon thread ever, if I do not come up with some new ideas. This forum is full of fantastic bacon threads as it is.

That is fabulous stuff Geir, keep teaching my friend, I learn something with most of your posts. Mostly that you know how to cook

Excellent post Geir and please keep on posting your bacon making! I too learn
a lot from you every time you post a cook.

Super looking bacon Geir!
I'll try it your way one of these days.

As far as smoked meats in the USA,
I don't know how much store, pre-packaged 'smoked' meats are actually 'smoked' with liquid smoke.
But I can tell you that here in the state of Missouri, there are many butcher/meat shops that smoke their own meats.
Burgers' Smokehouse is one of the larger ones.
Swiss meats (named after the small town where it's located) is one of my favorites.

very nice looking bacon Geir!!! You left the skin on even after you sliced it?

John- that's the way we do it. I have never seen bacon with the rind removed in stores or anywhere else. If you are lucky, it is even crisps up when you fry the bacon!

Bob- one of the downsides of living in Norway, is that almost every local butcher and small scale producer of foods are gone. There are a few distributors of food, and if you can not get them to distribute your products, there are no way that a small business can survive.
As an example- I live in a small town of 30 000 people, and there is no butcher here. Only a couple of supermarkets with fresh meat counters, and they do not do much else than cutting meat into smaller pieces and sell it at a higher price.

Looks like things are changing a bit now, and I hope that the trend continues.

Last edited:
Geir I love your bacon cook. So much wonderful info on here for those of us who havn't yet tried making bacon.

liz is wanting to paint the walls in this house again...
and in this room, i'm gonna see if we can get some paint mixed to this colour ▼

DSC_0998_zpsdefd7d6d.jpg

Sir Geir, that is some Spectacular looking bacon! Absolutely NOTHIN boring about it!!

Back