Enhanced Turkey

E Mann

TVWBB Fan
My wife got a free turkey from her work so I of course offered to smoke it. It is an enhanced turkey so I assume that I shouldn't brine and just use some rub, thoughts? Maybe inject? Thanks!!

If it's a fully juiced bird 8%+ and you want to flavor brine I'd just cut the salt in half. I do it all the time with excellent results. Otherwise rub or inject as you say.

I agree with LarryR, if you brine it, it will pull the solution from the bird, mix with your brine, and equalize in solution. I think brining an enhanced bird is a great idea especially if you include aromatics in your brine. I use oranges, garlic, dried ground peppers, ginger, rosemary, thyme, and sage.

As a test run, I smoked a Butterball turkey that was 8% enhanced. I stuffed it with apple and orange, trussed it using the Alton Brown method (probably not his method, but fun vid to watch), and tossed on the WSM at 350 until the breast hit 160. Turned out great. Good thing about trussing is that the breast and thigh were the same temperature.

I plan to use the Apple Brine for the turkey I do for Thanksgiving.

Back