"Enhanced" ribs

Mike Taylor

TVWBB Member
It's hard to find ribs around here that aren't enhanced with some sort of solution. My rub recipe calls for 1/4 cup of salt and does about five to six racks of baby backs. If I have to use "enhanced" ribs, should I just leave the salt out of the rub? Until recently I've been able to find ribs without the solution so I don't know how salty it is.

Everything I've read says if it's enhanced, leave the salt OUT of your rub (the first time anyways).

You can always add more at the table if you need it.

Yea. I've never had good luck using them. Like Len said cut the salt and see what you think?
OBTW where is "around here". If you give a general local some might chime in on where to find some natural pork.
icon_smile.gif

Tim

I'm in Oro Valley, AZ for winter....Missouri the rest of the year. I did find some unadorned ribs at Safeway yesterday after I posted but they were $4.49lb.!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mike Taylor:
I'm in Oro Valley, AZ for winter....Missouri the rest of the year. I did find some unadorned ribs at Safeway yesterday after I posted but they were $4.49lb.! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wacky pricing all over N America it seems. We've got back ribs going for 2.99/lb and spares for 1.98 almost every week.

OTOH, ground beef (don't know what goes into it
icon_confused.gif
) is $3.99/lb

Now, those pork prices are fairly constant for us. But beef has gone through the roof.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mike Hartwell:
JEEZ! I wouldn't put a 1/4 cup of salt in ANYTHING! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
agreed.

i thoroughly wash off the ribs with cold water and do not put any salt in my rub. Too much salt makes them taste like ham.

Back