Ends too well done? Cut in half or Roll up in circle

Phil L.

TVWBB Member
My first run with my WSM turned out some decent ribs, but the ends were too well done.. some suggested the edges were hanging in the "HOT ZONE" and said to cut in half and use a rib rack or roll into a circle...

What is the preferred method?

I've never tried rolling, have had good success using rib racks though. If you decide to roll them let me know what you think of that method.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Phil L.:
My first run with my WSM turned out some decent ribs, but the ends were too well done.. some suggested the edges were hanging in the "HOT ZONE" and said to cut in half and use a rib rack or roll into a circle...

What is the preferred method? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Either mehtod might help, but if they're real thin thy're gonna still over cook compared to the thicker pieces. I generally trim about 3" from the ends of spares while I'm trimming. Depending on how they're cut it may include a small rib bone. Throw it on the smoker and snack on it a couple hours into the cook while the racks finish cooking.

I'm with Larry. Although, sometimes I leave them on, because they make a nice crispy snack when done (kinda like burnt ends on a brisket)
icon_biggrin.gif

Weldon

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by george curtis:
i might try rolled ribs just for giggles. one question though. does the meat get cooked/smoked were it touches ? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
George, you use a skewer through each rack to hold the circle of ribs in place. Nothing should be touching.
icon_wink.gif

I've been putting foil on the outer edges of the grate,under the ribs, to keep the ends from over cooking.

anybody think some kind of baffle might help alleviate this problem? I was thinking of cutting a ring out of sheet metal so the heat would have something to go around.

Like a 18 (or 22) inch washer cut out of sheet ss or aluminum.
If one wasn't using the lower grate it could sit there.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Like a 18 (or 22) inch washer cut out of sheet ss or aluminum.
If one wasn't using the lower grate it could sit there. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

exactly.
icon_wink.gif

I've tried rolling but prefer my racks as I like to foil my ribs during the cook (I like the 3-2-1 method). Can't really do that when they are rolled, as far as I can tell.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Corey Rogers:
I've tried rolling but prefer my racks as I like to foil my ribs during the cook (I like the 3-2-1 method). Can't really do that when they are rolled, as far as I can tell. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
You can foil after rolling Corey. By the time you foil the racks will have shrunk a bit. Take out your skewers, move the ribs to foil and flatten them out as best you can.

I made six rack on Saturday morning and rolled them...this was the 2nd time I rolled and had good results.

First time I didn't foil, but 2nd time I was pressed for time and had to foil. Probably not the quickest way to do it, but I ended up pulling the skewers, cutting the racks into 3rds, and then foiling that way. Didn't notice an excess of juices in the foil after they were done.

Worked pretty well, although next time I might try just flattening them out before foiling.

One man's garbage is another man's gold. If the ends of ribs aren't too well done, my wife complains. She likes to munch on the crunchies

I always roll them for two reasons: whenever I make ribs I make at least 4 racks at a time, and it leaves more room to put other things on the smoker. My favorite is a pan of beans on the bottom rack and 4 racks of ribs along with the trimmings on the top. After about 3 hours pull beans and trimmings, then chop up trimmings and put in the beans. I like to use my crock pot insert for the beans that way I can just put in the base on low to keep the beans warm with the ribs finish cooking. Works every time.

I always roll my ribs as well. I don't foil, so no worries there, and they seem to cook very well, without any overcooked areas. I will typically put the thicker portions of the racks near the edges of the grate, to compensate for the hot spots.

Back