ENC BBQ Injection?

Chad C

Have any of you ever injected a Boston Butt with Eastern NC style sauce? I am looking for a bit more moisture in the meat and thought I would try injecting my finishing sauce before the cook. Will this help? Should I do some other type of sauce? I'd like to stick to ENC style as close as possible (aside from using a Butt that is).

when i cook my butts i inject a little chicken broth in mine and put on some rub and refrigerate overnight. i take it out of fridge for about 1 hr before cooking and inject with chicken broth with rub mixed in the broth and put more rub on outside. it always comes out juicy. i never care for any kind of sauce...but if sauce is what your after i am sure sombody will chime in with your solution.

Sounds intriguing Brian! Never would have thought of chicken broth. I'll give it a shot.

I do wonder if anyone has tried injecting vinegar based ENC BBQ sauce. Seems to that this is what is going on after it's done, so it's bound to help during the cooking! Most times things aren't as simple as that though.

It might be just fine.

I found a 3 cup pork injection recipe that has one cup of ACV, along with 1/4 cup worster and other stuff. I look forward to trying it on my next butt cook.

Okay then, I'm going to go for it on Saturday. I'll let you all know how it turns out.

Ray - I'm in Apex, NC. Kind of East/Central NC.

Thanks a bunch all!!

Chicken broth? Wow, that is a new idea that would make some folks on here cringe. Love it.
I have tried injecting with a bunch of V. Turned out horrible for me.

Oh boy. I've got a V infused butt out there smoking right now. I only injected one of the two butts I am cooking, so at least I have a backup.

Thanks for you input! I'll report back on my results tomorrow.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dale Perry:
Chicken broth? Wow, that is a new idea that would make some folks on here cringe. Love it.
I have tried injecting with a bunch of V. Turned out horrible for me. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Me too. It is often my stock of choice for beef, even with injections aside. It adds a meaty quality without overkill, something that the addition of beef stock - or formulated injections - can do, making the results otherworldly.

Chad - I don't inject butts. I'm of the school that I can add flavor during the pulling process to same/better effect.

It provides for flexibility, I.E. creating say two different styles during the prep. Also you are not committing the whole roast to that flavoring.

Again - JMHO, to each his own.

I have injected buts on occasion but have to say in my opinion I didn't notice much difference at all if I simply added the injection/flavorings during the pull rather than for the cook.

That said, I would say most of the time I do add some Eastern Carolina Style to the meat when pulling, just to taste. It's a personal favorite and I get consistent positive comments. Then use a finishing sauce that includes butter, chicken broth (or stock from the butt cook), apple juice. The apple juice is typically frozen concentrate (not diluted) or cider if it's available.

I might even toss in a little of the dry rub that was used as well, depending on the mood or if the bark isn't adding enough of that.

Not enough smokiness? You can even touch that up during the pull with a little sprinkle of smoked paprika or chipotle.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by r benash:
...Then use a finishing sauce that includes butter, chicken broth (or stock from the butt cook), apple juice. The apple juice is typically frozen concentrate (not diluted) or cider if it's available. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Cool idea to use the concentrate instead of (diluted) juice. My experience is that AJ dilutes flavor if used much on it's own as a moisture agent.

Good is good as long as you like it.
icon_wink.gif
Ill stick to injecting because I love the flavor im getting. It is a little more work at the beginning but worth the effort. I guess i get a good feeling when I just tear into the meat and find that nothing is needed.

My results: no benefit from injecting with finishing sauce. It almost seemed a bit drier than the non-injected butt, but negligible at best.

Thanks for all of the replies!!! Very helpful info. I'll maybe try other recipes for injecting going forward.

Back