Employee Discount

Phil Perrin

TVWBB Hall of Fame
I've been meaning to check the battery in my pick up. It's over 5 years old and it's what we call an AGM battery, which basically means that the acid in it is gelled so it won't/can't leak out.
These batteries tend to give no sign that they're going out, unlike a typical flooded battery.
I'm glad that I did today! I checked mine at work and it said that it was bad!
Now, AGM batteries tend to cost more than flooded batteries, so I was VERY happy that I got an employee discount!
My cost, with tax, was $20 less than what I would have paid at Walmart and 3/4 what I would have paid at a parts store!
#Winning

Better now than getting stranded somewhere Phil!
Exactly!
We've got a big camping trip planned for next month
A few days in Texarkana to see my in-laws, then up to St. Louis to see my family, then back to Charlotte
I'd hate to get stranded in Podunk somewhere and pay over $200 for that battery
IF they had it!

I put 2 new batteries in my Ram 3/4 ton diesel last fall, the last weekend before the weather got unpleasant. A pair of monster CCA AGM batteries were...... um....... unpleasant. Not bad for 9 year old OEM batteries. The gent in the shop was rather shocked when I asked if I could borrow a few wrenches to make the swap so he could deal with other customers. This surprised him rather a lot, nearly all of his customers expected him to do everything while they swilled their soy no-dairy whipped lattes with extra foam.

As a rule, I'll replace batteries with a like for like. The exception was my Heep which did get an Absorbent Glass Matt battery due to the rather less than flat angles of operation, along with the possibility of a roll-over where I'd like to keep fluids in place as much as I could.

Seems like the last 20 years or so all batteries seem to simply "fail". No warning, no slow crank. Just here one day and gone the next. I'm thinking perhaps it because of all the computerization under the hood now. Battery drops a volt or two and bam "I'm dead". Nothing is "direct" anymore. It's all run through "logic". I was going to replace the one in our Highlander which is going on 5 years IIRC. I usually simply replace batteries based on 3 years and they're done. But, so far, every time the dealer runs the tests on it they tell me it's all good and not to worry about it. Hmmm. It is an OEM one though I think made by Panasonic. IIRC it's Panasonic who makes Toyota branded batteries (Honda too). Maybe they're on to something. I bought an Interstate Battery for my tractor last spring. It's already acting "weak". I really hate Interstate ones but, Costco was the only place that had the one I need and at an affordable price. Plus their guarantee (Costco's) is great. And if the battery fails it's not like I will be stranded in East Jesus and Euclid. It will be in my own yard :D

Phil, I work for an auto parts store. I'm sorry you still had to pay so much for your battery with *your* discount.:devilish:

My previous job was with a Caterpillar dealer and I used my employee discount for fasteners, oil, filters, and sometimes even batteries. Last year I had to replace a Cat-branded group 78 battery rated at 930 CCA after only 15 years.

Thankfully I never worked for a tofu distributor...

Last edited:
Phil, I work for an auto parts store. I'm sorry you still had to pay so much for your battery with *your* discount.:devilish:

My previous job was with a Caterpillar dealer and I used my employee discount for fasteners, oil, filters, and sometimes even batteries. Last year I had to replace a Cat-branded group 78 battery rated at 930 CCA after only 15 years.

Thankfully I never worked for a tofu distributor...
In 27 years in the heavy metal, I mean battery business, Caterpillar batteries were always heavier and longer lasting than a lot of other cores I picked up!

Back