Easter ham on the SmokeFire, any hints?

Bruno

TVWBB Honor Circle
Wanted to spend some time in the backyard so I picked up a Kirkland apple wood smoked ham at Costco, I want to throw it on the SmokeFire on Sunday. Any thoughts? Has anyone done this? Comes with a glaze packet.
Thanks

It's probably fully cooked or ready to eat so you just need to bring it up to temperature.
The directions on back should give you time and what temp and if you should foil.
You could follow this.

This is what I have done too, just follow the directions on the package as far as temps and such. Should turn out great.

I did one a few months ago, I did not glaser it,as I do not do sugars much. But I wanted to add a lot of smoke flavor and smell.
I smoked it for about 1.5 to 2.9 hours at 250 - 260. To around 145 -150 internal .
Then I bought a couple loads of French bread (8) with mustard and such. I put the Ham in a slow cooker and took to church for a fellowship lunch, it was spiral sliced so put a knife for cutting, let the folks have at it. Well when the lid was removed the whole church had smoked ham going from room to room. It was 8 lbs and it disappeared.

I would skip the glaze packet on principle.

Most all store ham products are labelled as "water added" or "with natural juices". Very few qualify as simply "ham" because of that additional processing. As a result, the product comes out very watery. I personally hate that and go through various steps to dry it out to a consistency closer to bacon. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

Ham is truly idiot-proof. The directions will work. Eating it without any cooking will also work. Cooking the daylights out of it (as I do with the water added hams) also works. Enjoy!

I just did a spiral ham last night because $.99 is pretty cheap for protein. Didn't bother to cook it. Removed the fat very carefully. Carefully divided it up along the seams into three tiers of slices, tiny cubes, cubes, and the trimmings/remainder for ham salad.

If you use it, glaze goes on at the end to make the ham shiny, glossy, and attractive for serving at table.

Last edited:
I am not against any ones idea for a cook, but i have done a couple of spiral hams and the curing solution and low heat and smoke make for a very flavorful ham sandwich, eggs and ham or ham dinner with sides of your liking and of course mustard dip.
The smell of the fresh smoked ham is deep and so rich. even after you have had it frosen for a month it still fills the home with fantastic aroma.

Hard to beat and makes the neighbors noses perk up also.

I've double smoked hams several times. Turns out really well and is an easy cook. Leftovers make great sandwich meat. Make sure you glaze in a pan as the glaze can make a mess in bottom of the smoker/grill.

I'm waiting till after Easter to try to get spiral cut ham on sale. Before covid, I could get them for 99 cents a pound. I would buy one to smoke and another to go into the freezer. Right now, they're about $2.30 a pound at my grocer.

I really liked Meat Church's glaze. I'm big on cherry on pork. I recently did three baby back racks , each with a different cherry glaze. His glaze looked delicious.

Meat Church sliced it wrong though, if he continued to do what he did to get a taste. Best to tilt it to one side so the bone is visible, then shave it off the bone. Malcolm Reed does that here ..........

The rib candy that Meat Church uses is about the same as Kosmos Apple Habernero Rib Glaze, which I used on baby backs a couple weeks ago.

And IDK where I saw Malcolm tilt the ham and shave it off the bone, its not in that last vid, he's done several double smoked ham vids. He slices it differently in this vid .

Thanks guys, looks like this will be a fun one.
And thank you Bruno for bring the topic up, I am also fallowing your lead (at least in one of the kettles, the other will have a spinning chicken in it). Guys the only think that has me nervous is time and temp. I got a 6.7 LB Berkshire ham. Right now I am thinking to have the kettle at 275 to 300 and am thinking 3-ish hours for to get above 130 internal. Does that sound right?

And thank you Bruno for bring the topic up, I am also fallowing your lead (at least in one of the kettles, the other will have a spinning chicken in it). Guys the only think that has me nervous is time and temp. I got a 6.7 LB Berkshire ham. Right now I am thinking to have the kettle at 275 to 300 and am thinking 3-ish hours for to get above 130 internal. Does that sound right?
See now that’s what it’s all about, a bird spinning on Grandpa’s kettle and a ham in the other. Sounds like a great Easter to me. I know the family will be impressed.

Dang just realized I grabbed an 11 pounder. I’ll have to do some math before Sunday.

Dang just realized I grabbed an 11 pounder. I’ll have to do some math before Sunday.
Good thing is the ham only has to come up to 135 to 145 and or 2 hours of cooking smoke. As it has already been cooked so you are just enhancing its flavor.
Good luck and have a great holiday weekend.

Jeez this looks good too.

That's the one I was thinking about ................. Chef Tom tilts it and then carves off the bone.

My last ham I did this cook with the Plowboys Yardbird, except I used Kosmos Maple Bourbon rib glaze. And I used the Masterbuilt 560 gravity feed. It was delicious. And watching this vid again makes my mouth water. When he dips the slices in au jus ..... oohh man.

Also, the Big Ricks Jalapeno Honey Mustard is the real deal ! Its expensive for every day use, but its great on turkey or chicken sandwiches. I used it as a binder on a baby back cook last week. And Big Ricks' chipotle ketchup is a nice change up on burgers.

This is super easy and if you never tried it, give it a shot. Take a precooked store-bought ham and smoke it again. I prefer a bone-in butt. You only have to smoke it till it hits a 140*-150* internal temperature since it is precooked. Tastes great that night and makes good for good sliced meat afterwards. I coated it with yellow mustard, applied my rub, set up the kettle with the snake method or SnS using your wood of choice. Smoke at 225-250. I have an 11.5lb butt will be using pecan on Sunday.

Oh yeah this is happening, I’ll hit it up with some Kozmos killer bee and figure out the glaze.

Back