Dr Pepper marinade for TT

Scott S (scooter)

TVWBB Member
Wanted to try a Dr Pepper marinade, was told it's really good, so I did a test tritip on vacation last week on my WSM.

1 can Dr Pepper
1/4 CP light soy sauce
1/4 CP EVOO
2 TBS Montreal Steak
juice of 1 lime

Mixed all together and placed a smallish (1.98lb) tritip in a ziplock bag with the marinade and put in the fridge overnight.

Placed 1 chimney of lit K into the ring then placed the top grate on the bottom section and seared the TT until it was the right color, about 5 minutes.
Then placed the grate on the middle section and assembled the WSM without a waterpan and threw 2 chunks of red oak onto the coals.
About 25 mins later (flipped the TT once in the middle of that 25 mins) the TT hit the target temp of 140F so pulled it and tented it.
It was pretty darn good! It wasn't sweet and couldn't detect any Dr Pep taste but it did taste good and was tender and juicy. Might have to try it again!

tritip.jpg

tritipsliced.jpg

Wow - simple and great tasting!! That's how it should be. Thanks for sharing, will have to try this soon.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> a smallish (1.98lb) tritip </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Wow Scott,
Around here thats like dinner for one and a TT sandwich the next day.

Normally I like to get them around 2.5 to 3lbs but this was a test TT so picked a smaller one.

For what it's worth to those who are thinking of trying this marinade, my cook log for this TT said next time to reduce the lime juice to 1 lime instead of 2.

I can't tell how it tasted from here, but judging by those pics, it was one of the best pieces of meat ever cooked.

Thanks guys. I changed the Montreal Steak to reflect more correctly the amount I put in which was closer to 2 TBS and changed the juice of 2 limes to the juice of one because I felt the juice from 2 limes was a little overpowering.

Back