Double-stacking the WSM?

StevenH

I just tried cold smoking a batch of home-made all-beef hot dogs. I hung the dogs in relatively short links from S-hooks attached to the top grate on my 18.5" WSM. I placed a block of ice into the water bowl, and used a very small amount of charcoal, with apple wood for the smoke.

Despite my best efforts, the links were long enough to dangle onto the ice in the bowl. There just wasn't enough depth to permit the dogs to hang right. The smoke was not distributed unevenly.

Note that my aim was not to cook the sausage, but to impart a smokey flavor to them. After smoking, I parboiled them in water to an internal temp of 142, then placed them in an ice bath to cool.

I began thinking about how to get more depth inside the smoker, and had the idea of buying another middle section (with the door assembly), and simply stacking two middle sections together. That would put the top grate about 27-28" above the bowl - plenty of room to hang links of sausage and get even smoke distribution. I looked carefully at how the sections fit together, and can't see any reason why the middles would not stack properly.

I called Weber today, and learned that the middle section costs about $125 and the door assembly about $15. Shipping is $7. Not cheap, but a lot less than adding another piece of equipment to the inventory by buying a box smoker.

Has anyone else tried this? Any thoughts on this modification? Any other ways people have found to do cold smoking in the WSM?

Thanks.

Thank you, Shane. I had looked at that page, but had not scrolled far enough down! Appreciate the help.

StevenH,
Where are you located? I have a brand new center section with grate hangers that I have been considering moving. I also have a top and bottom section avaible, come to think of it I also have anoth WSM available. I don't know how much shipping would be though.

J.
I am in the DC area. If you have a way to ship the middle section, I'd be happy to pay for it. Can't think it would be close to the price to buy new. Weber charges $7 to ship ground, but that has to be a sharply discounted rate based on their volume. If you think it might work, let me know and we can make plans off line. Be wonderful if something worked out.

Many thanks.

S

Steven, sorry it took so long to respond. Send me an email, its in my profile. I'll try to get an approximate shipping to D.C. Just so you know it does not have a door.

Back