door latch problems

Cory L.

TVWBB Member
My replacement door latch once again does not work so I took someone's suggestion and simply drilled a hole in the body of the WSM right above the door and now have a piece of wood with a bolt through it. Use the wood as a latch for the door when closed.

My only problem is the nut I have on the inside of the WSM loosens every time I turn the piece of wood. Do you guys know if a nylon lock nut will melt inside the smoker?

If so I will try the split lock washers but was just curious if the nylon will hold up to the heat. Thanks.

How does your door not latch with the original equipment? Mine latches fine. Are you sure you're not missing a piece in the latch mechanism?

When you turn the handle to latch it, the little piece of metal inside doesn't always turn with the handle. This is the second latch mechanism I have gone through and sick of messing with it. Not missing any pieces and I have tried to tighten it to no avail. The first one completely broke off. Not the best set up in my opinion but what do I know. My piece of wood latch will work just fine but I need to keep the nut inside the smoker from spinning.

I would keep on Weber CS if you are not happy. They will make it right. There is no reason why you should have to jimmy rig the latch mechanism for the door.

Red or Blue Loc-tite. Don't know if the nylon lock nut will hold up, or just do like George recommends round off the threads with a pair of pliers.

Tim

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I would use two nuts to bind each other. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

- This!

But then again i would call Weber and tell em to ship a new door your way.

I just went with a split lock washer and it seems to have done the trick. Maybe it is just me but I have had my WSM for 1 year and have gone through 2 latch assemblys. Doesn't seem that the plastic holds up. I don't mind the Jimmy rig as my ugly looking mod actually holds the door tighter than either factory latches when they worked. I may get a new latch anyhow as I still like to have a handle on the door when accessing to add more fuel, wood and when inverting the door for HH cooks. Gives me something to hold on to and not burn my hand. Ha.

I posted this in an earlier thread but I don't take credit for it since I found it in a still earlier thread that I can't find now. You can drill through the handle and through bolt the latch hardware so that you can tighten it as much as you like wihtout stripping out the weak brass insert. Scroll down to near the bottom for pictures, Best mod that I've made. Latch Mod.

Back