Dome temp

J Bowie

TVWBB Member
I have cooked 2 briskets at once on my 22 inch WSM several times. I put one on bottom shelf and one on top. I do not use water in pan. My bottom brisket runs 10 or more degrees hotter IT than top. I thought this was supposed to be the other way. My last cook I moved them both to the top about midway thru the cook after they shrank a bit. This allowed me to probe and temp test both. With both on top shelf I noticed my dome thermometer was 60-70 degrees cooler than my Maverick. What can I do better?

Check the dome thermometer. You can pull it of and put the probe in boiling water and see what it reads. When I checked my 22 yesterday morning during a cook, the dome thermometer was showing about 25 or more degrees lower than my pit probe at the top grate. I will probably pull the dome therm today and test it. Doesn't really mater though since I always cook with a controller and trust that since I have verified their accuracy with boiling water and checked the difference in regards to elevation above see level. I would trust your Maverick much more than the dome therm. Just to be sure, check both Maverick probes using the boiling water test. Then you will know for sure. Good luck.

What you are seeing is perfectly normal.
Think about how the WSM works and how Heat Energy is first added to the ambient air and then removed as that heated air passes by the cooler meats.
If you had a perfect cooker where every bit of heat energy added by the lit coals was transferred to the meat, the air temperature exiting the dome vent would be at ambient air temperature.

Back