does anyone use this method for ribs ?

simon j

TVWBB Fan
Has anyone done this regiment before ?

After removing the membrane on ribs;

Day One:
"simmer the ribs in water flavoured with carrots, onions, celery, parsley and lemon (the lemon to bleach the meat, its acid to break it down and tenderize) for an hour and a half, taking care to barely simmer, because boiling toughens meat.
Then drain the ribs. Apply the dry rub.
Then put them in the fridge over night to firm the meat slightly.

Day Two:
Then pull them out, room temperature, apply lightly sprinkled dry rub and onto the smoker.

I'm curious to see if anyone else uses this method.

So fellow Pit Masters whaddya think ?

thx
simon

I can't believe my eyes just heard that.
icon_eek.gif
It's blasphemy, I tell you, blasphemy.
icon_biggrin.gif

No No way,,,,,,I have tasted them cooked that way and didnt care for them at all,,,all the flavor is gone to me.

You probably won't find a whole lot of people that will support you on this one.....But if you like the results go for it! No harm in trying anything food related really!

Remember there is still a large group of people who go crazy when they here aluminum foil!

Clark

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by simon j:
B's 'n Q's ?

huh ?

I'm sorry I don't understand the post ? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh, boiling (simmering) ribs is considered a "no-no" by many "purist" BBQers, hence the 'blasphemy' comment.

"B's 'n Q's" is my signature as in Beer's and BBQ's - a spin of the "mind your P's and Q's." Until I think of something <STRIKE>more</STRIKE> clever I'm stickin' with it.
icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by simon j:
Has anyone done this regiment before ?
So fellow Pit Masters whaddya think ?
thx
simon </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Simon,
Have a nice day.

I like the idea of infusing those vegetable flavors into the meat.

But...

I would not simmer ribs prior to cooking. I don't even like to foil them, though I have done that. It's a personal preference, and I am in no way condemning anyone who does foil.

If you want to simmer them like that, go ahead. I think you will be disappointed in the results, especially if you did a "control" rack that went unsimmered.

That's my $.02.

Pertaining to your last statement Simon, I'm not sure where you are located but here locally it has been rumored that a local establishment with competition awards does the same thing. Just a rumor you understand. Just a rumor. Hmmmmmmmmm Bob B

it gets even worse y'all. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Impossible.

Back