Does anyone use smoked paprika?

Susan Z

TVWBB Guru
Kevin's Frango Piri-Piri recipe called for smoked paprika, which I happened to have on hand from having picked up a bunch of paella making supplies from some spanish importer. Had never even cracked it open before, but it's really nice---has a deep, smokey flavor to it (not surprisingly, I guess!). I've just ordered some more, having seen now that it comes in sweet, hot, and bittersweet.

Anyway, got me wondering whether anyone uses smoked paprika in their rubs, and if not...why not? One downside is that it might be a tad hard to find.

Suzan,
I like using sweet paprika as opposed to hot or smoked so that I can control the level of heat and smokiness. i.e Wood for the smoke note and some form of chili for heat.

Al

I use all three varieties you mention. I use them in rubs when I am not using smokewood, generally, though I have used them with smoked meats, sometimes they can clash a little, particularly with long cooks; sometimes not, particularly with shorter fowl cooks. I've never tried any of them with ribs. Usually I really like the results, regardless.

Depending on the hot/sweet/sour/bitter ratios in the rub I'm contemplating, I'll use one or the other of the paprikas or blend them. I get mine from here. They have lots of Sapnish stuff, including paella supplies.

Yup, that's my source, too!

Btw, that piri-piri stuff was soooo good! Not sure we ate it right (we did it like lettuce wrapped chicken), but my goodness was that a winner! (you'll find pics down yonder in the poultry section)

They have some great stuff.

You pics look great too. I'm so glad you liked it. I usually just cut the chicken up in small pieces, pile it on the lettuce and scatter the lemon, tomatoes and onions about. Dumping on a little more molho, squeezing on some lemon, and the juices from the chicken kind of make a dressing for the lettuce and tomatoes. But I like your idea better.

I use it in my chile powder.

6 Ancho chiles, stemmed, seeded and sliced
6 Guajillo chiles, stemmed, seeded and sliced
8 Arbol chiles, stemmed, seeded and sliced
4 Tablespoons whole cumin seeds
4 Tablespoons garlic powder
2 Tablespoon dried oregano
1 1/2 Tablespoon smoked paprika

Toast sliced peppers and whole cumin in cast iron skillet until you smell the cumin turning nutty. Remove and let cool. Proccess into a fine powder.

Kevin that is a killer website! A local restaurant has a paella I order for lunch everytime I am there. While I have not cooked Spanish foods, this soarce is terrific. Just reading about the sausages or browsing through the olive oils or hams or..... These folks are as passionate about what they do as are the bbq crowd here. Anybody who likes what Spain has to offer would love this site.

Back