Does a New WSM Need to be Cured?

JSteffen

Hi all - just got my first WSM (an 18.5") - should I cure it before the first use? The owner's guide did not mention it, and I have not seen anything in any of the threads (although I may have missed it). Just curious as to what everyone has done and/or suggests...thanks! Jeff

I burned in/seasoned mine when new with bacon and sausage roll per Harry Soo. I did the same with my mini WSM once built.

I'm new at this, but I did not season mine prior to my first cook. I started with an overnighter with 3 butts. I do believe that the temp ran a bit high, but I was somewhere in the area of 250 at the grate with all bottom vents closed for the first 6 hours or so.

Nope. But a good smokey trial run before your first cook won't hurt. Cherry wood is good for smoking up the inside of pits..........

I would recommend curing it with a couple nice big pork butts. Incidentally that is what I would recommend as your first cook. They are forgiving enough that you don't have to worry to much what the cooker is doing.

lol - very nice. I was actually planning on a nice inexpensive chicken - just got back from the butcher...the pork butts sound like a nice idea for cook #2!

Back