Do You Have a Salt Block in Your Arsenal?

BFletcher

TVWBB Platinum Member
Last edited:
I saw one in use once MANY years ago in New York at a Mongolian rest. Left me kinda so so. I think I would be more concerned about "off" flavors and rancidity of fats and other organic materials that make their way into the pores of the block.

I've had one for awhile ( never used it, gift from son ).
I remember reading that last link from Ray so thats prolly why it just sits.
Same with me, only a gift from my brother. I don’t think I need anything to draw out a relatively short grilling session with another tool I have to wait for to heat up, cool down, clean and maintain with only a negligent potential improvement (or not) in results. I’m also not a “wow, look at this new tool” cook. I try to let my food speak for my cooking ability.

Last edited:
I received one as a gift from my wife a few years ago, and have used it 4-5 times. Did steak once, shrimp once, and salmon 2-3 times. It is fun to use because it's different, but when it "gets used up", I'm not sure if I would replace it. Cleaning and handling it are probably not worth it for me.

Shrimp came out extremely salty, steak was not that much different than usual, but the salmon was amazing and will probably be how I continue to use it.

I do not. Was tempted a couple years ago, I don’t remember if I had anything off of one or my buddy had one, he thought it was ok and did some research and thought I would pass.

I like good chunky salt on my steaks personally

Nope, no room in the kitchen for a once a year piece of “equipment”. Much like a ten pound of granite to “cook a steak“ on!
I’ve got too much of that kind of stuff already.

Yes. I think it was a $5 clearance at Home Depot that I couldn't walk past. Better for presentation at a party than for actual cooking - an interesting conversation starter.

Back