Do they have nothing better to do

Jeepers! When I think about what those dogs are trained to do, I have to wonder why anyone would want to taunt one! All brawn, no brain? Apparently so.

I was debating on elaborating on this and went back and forth and decided: what the heck. I'll demonstrate my ignorance.

I know it's usually a stupid idea to interact with the police, especially in that manner (other than a "Hi" and move on) but: why are there police dogs (I know police are at most sporting events because there are morons in attendance--too much beer?) at sporting events?

Are fans so unruly that they (dogs) are needed to keep order? I know, I've seen those riots at soccer games in Europe and elsewhere but geez, I've never seen fights break out at football games. Or hockey. On the playing surface (field, rink) notwithstanding.

OTOH, I am more of a (local) baseball fan and know the cameras swing away when a fan jumps on the field or stuff happens in the stands (again, too much beer). But dogs? That's serious riot control IMO.

Don't get on my case. I'm genuinely puzzled why. I think that's what has me puzzled. Is this the way in all stadiums now?

Maybe needed at places where people can get drunk and unruly?
Possibly even throwing beer cans?
Like some baseball games in the playoffs. :)

Maybe needed at places where people can get drunk and unruly?
Possibly even throwing beer cans?
Like some baseball games in the playoffs. :)

Hey, I know a shot when I read one ;) Like it hasn't happened elsewhere? I know we have cops here. But not dogs. Horses yes, but not dogs.

Last edited:
The last time I got too near a police dog, he barked like he was mad at the world. Needless to say, I about jumped out of my skin not knowing he was near me.

Possibly just the presence of the dogs will keep most people from doing something stupid knowing the potential consequences of their actions. Now drunks that could be a different situation.

Are fans so unruly that they (dogs) are needed to keep order? I know, I've seen those riots at soccer games in Europe and elsewhere but geez, I've never seen fights break out at football games. Or hockey. On the playing surface (field, rink) notwithstanding.

OTOH, I am more of a (local) baseball fan and know the cameras swing away when a fan jumps on the field or stuff happens in the stands (again, too much beer). But dogs? That's serious riot control IMO.

There has been a video floating around from the last Dallas Cowboys home game of a fan knocking out another fan with a single punch. This season there was a fight in a parking lot outside of Dallas' stadium and as the story goes someone was trying to break up the fight and was shot and killed.

I have been to several Cowboys games and other sports games across the country over the years and never witnessed anything like this personally but some of these people get out of control.

I am more then fine with police at the stadium and if the police think having dogs will aid them in anyway I am comfortable with it. The police were there to protect the players and the player acted like an idiot.

Possibly just the presence of the dogs will keep most people from doing something stupid....

Doesn't appear to have worked in this instance.

We've had a number of serious fights in restrooms and in the parking lot at the new 49ers Levi's Stadium. It's blamed on too much drinking before and during the game. Watch this clip:

Given the violence at games and the heightened terrorist awareness at professional sporting events (e.g. metal detectors now at MLB games, clear plastic tote bags at NFL games) I think dogs are just part of the overall security strategy.

As for the Raiders player, he was probably hopped up on adrenaline and not thinking straight, don't you think?

As for the Raiders player, he was probably hopped up on adrenaline and not thinking straight, don't you think?

That's what I was thinking - along with testosterone. These guys are the show.

...but now after yesterday's performance (French soccer game), Totally out of line. But before yesterday I had no problem.

You've never seen fans fight at an NHL game? Seriously? Those dogs are trained for all kinds of things including sniffing out weapons and explosives. They aren't just trained to attack people.

Back