Do I need to vary the time during a cold weather cookout?

Pete D.

TVWBB Member
I'm going to be doing my first cold weather cookout in a couple of weeks. I'm guessing the temperature will be around 25 degrees. I know about blocking the wind and using a bit more charcoal, but is there anything else I need to worry about? If I get the temps to where I want them, will the cooking time be the same as during the summer? Do I need to make any adjustments in cooking temp or time because of the colder air?

Thanks!

Sounds like you have all the other variables figured out, but I'll add one more thing to worry about: opening the lid causes much greater temperature drops in cold weather. I think that increases cooking time as much as anything.

I cook in the cold a lot and the thing that gives me the most trouble is wind. If you can eliminate that then you shouldn't have any problems. Oh and if you forget your beer out by the Q it might freeze.

Move South?...I'm sorry...Someone had to go there!...lol...
icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bob Sample:Oh and if you forget your beer out by the Q it might freeze. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Only if you drink the low-alcohol bunny pi**, drink a real beer and you don't have that problem ;-)

Wind is your biggest issue as said before. I also tend to use lump more in the colder months because I think it recovers faster than the charcoal (lifting the lid issue.)

Back