DigiQ DX2

NeilH

TVWBB Emerald Member
Do you have to seal your WSM off with Nomex or any other gasket to get the best performance out of the controller? I guess this depends on the smoker as all of them are different in the way they seal.

All ATCs require the fire to die down when the fan isn't on. Does your WSM drop in temp when you shut all the vents? If so, you're good to go.

I don't have a WSM but I use an ATC on my Weber kettle. I wouldn't call it sealed but the temp definitely drops when the fan isn't blowing and I get great control, even without a damper on my fan.

Wayne, I haven't bought one yet. I was just curious if they needed to be sealed prior to using for best results. I guess it's a matter of getting one and learning.

I have the DigiQ DX2 on an 18.5 WSM. I have not had to use any gaskets to get it to work. There are some small leaks, such as around the door that let some smoke out, but it has not been an issue. I find it best to use a very small amount of lit on the unlit pile, close the dampers on the lid and fan (about 1/2 depending on the fan you use) and let the unit do the work. It took a few tries to figure out the combination to use, but once I did it controls the temp perfectly.

Good luck, it is worth the money for me.

I have the DigiQ DX2 on an 18.5 WSM. I have not had to use any gaskets to get it to work. There are some small leaks, such as around the door that let some smoke out, but it has not been an issue. I find it best to use a very small amount of lit on the unlit pile, close the dampers on the lid and fan (about 1/2 depending on the fan you use) and let the unit do the work. It took a few tries to figure out the combination to use, but once I did it controls the temp perfectly.

Good luck, it is worth the money for me.
Thanks, sounds great. Ill be using it on an 18.5 and notice just a small amount around the door as well. Thanks for the vent tips.

I agree with froso. I have some leaks, but it still works just fine. My biggest (and its not that big) is the notch I mod with an angle grinder for my wires. And it held 225 x 16 hours on one ring of coal.

I have some small leaks around the lid, but as Wayne mentioned, if it's sealed enough that you can kill the fire when the vents are closed, an ATC will work just fine. Doesn't necessarily need to be air tight.

I agree with froso. I have some leaks, but it still works just fine. My biggest (and its not that big) is the notch I mod with an angle grinder for my wires. And it held 225 x 16 hours on one ring of coal.
Mike, I made this same mod but really haven't noticed enough to amount to much luckily.

I have some small leaks around the lid, but as Wayne mentioned, if it's sealed enough that you can kill the fire when the vents are closed, an ATC will work just fine. Doesn't necessarily need to be air tight.
Sounds great, mine kills the heat pretty quick.

Back