DigiQ DX2 on a WSM 22"

Scott C.

TVWBB Super Fan
Hi guys,

I just ordered a DigiQ DX2 for my WSM 22". It's arriving today, so I'm anxious to get it installed. I think instead of using the tape, I'll try the 3/4" nickel plugs I've read on other threads.

That said, while BBQGuru doesn't have a manual for the Viper 10 CFM fan, I read somewhere that it has a sliding dampener of some sort that needs to be adjusted. Does anyone know what a good first setting for my smoker might be? 1/2 open perhaps?

Also, I suspect that the dampener is attached to the fan, so when I was reading about having to remove the fan after the cook, to prevent damage (as it's cooled from the fan I read), it just dawned on me that the mounted hole will be wide open. I guess you have to fashion something to plug the hole there to extinguish the coals?

it will come with a silicone plug to plug up the hole. or you can just shut the dampner down, or you can do none of the above and just let your smoker roll untill it burns itself out.

Id start with the damper wide open and the top vent half shut. go from there. youll more than likely have to make a few adjustments

Hmmm, I thought the conventional wisdom I've continually read here is to always leave the top vent wide open, and control the smoker with the lower vents. Obviously, that's where the ATC fits in, but I am such a newbie I'm not sure where to start.

Anyway, I got the box yesterday, and just a few comments.

1. Yes, the plug was there, and that solved that question.

2. The provided instructions are a little bit more involved, which is good.

3. For medium vertical smoker, they recommend starting with the dampener 1/2 open?

4. That stand is pretty Micky Mouse! I'm going to have to make something a little more substantial.

I cant' wait to give it a whirl !!

Thanks!

I set the damper of my 10 CFM Pit Viper fan about 1/2 open, it works well on both my 18 1/2" and 22 1/2" WSMs. Play around and find the setting that works the best for you.

When I'm done with my cook, I pull the fan out and put the kill plug in.

Damper wide open

Scott --

I've fiddled with mine for over a year now. Love it and just did an all night smoke (Pork Shoulder) on Saturday (2/2/13). DigiQ kept it right at 225 degrees. Great to sleep at night and my shoulder came out beautiful.

I now keep my damper wide open the whole time. I start off with my WSM top vent and bottom vents 100% open. When the pit temp gets up to around 25 degrees of my desired temp, I close the bottom vents to 50%. When the pit temp gets up to my desired cooking temp, I close the bottom vents to 25%. Check on it for about an hour and then off to bed.

Did I mention I love my DigiQ.......

What is the learning curve like on the DigiQ? Do you have to fiddle with it through three or four smokes to figure it out or can you get good results from the start. I recall with my WSM it took the requisite three or four smokes for it to settle down an get long burns at consistent temps. I am kind of not expecting that from a temperature controller, more hoping for "set it and forget it" operation. Can you get that with the DigiQ?

Scott --

I've fiddled with mine for over a year now. Love it and just did an all night smoke (Pork Shoulder) on Saturday (2/2/13). DigiQ kept it right at 225 degrees. Great to sleep at night and my shoulder came out beautiful.

I now keep my damper wide open the whole time. I start off with my WSM top vent and bottom vents 100% open. When the pit temp gets up to around 25 degrees of my desired temp, I close the bottom vents to 50%. When the pit temp gets up to my desired cooking temp, I close the bottom vents to 25%. Check on it for about an hour and then off to bed.

Did I mention I love my DigiQ.......

Wow, I think pretty much everything I've read from various posts and the instructions state that you have to leave ALL of the bottom vents closed so that the fan and controller can maintain the correct volume of air, after you get the temp settled. If you leave the other bottom vents open at the state 25%, I would think that would impare the controllers ability to maintain the temp properly.

While I have heard folks opening the vents during the ramp up, and closing them down when getting close to set temp to avoid overshooting, I've never heard of anyone leaving the bottoms open at all after that. As a matter of fact, I plugged all of my vents, hoping that relying completely on the controller is the best route?

Interesting.

Last edited:
I manually bring my WSM to within about 25F of my target temperature before turning my CyberQ WiFi on. I then fully close the 3 bottom vents, leaving the top vent fully open, and let the ATC take over.

I modded my WSMs to make this easier.
http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?38145-BBQ-Guru-Adapter-Mod&p=383332#post383332

Yeah, that's pretty much what I've been reading to leave all of the lower vents closed once the temp settles.

That said, i just noticed your WSM had three holes and I'm sure mine has 4 holes in the vents. Mine is brand new, so this must be a change.

Either way, I bought the hole covers for the vents, at a ridiculous $1.75 each and needed 11 of them. Now, I'm thinking I should probably leave one of the vents unplugged so I can open it during the warm up.

I do like your mod, and thought about that. I figured I better try this thing for a while and make sure I like it before commiting to that extent! The good thing is now, one screw and I'm back to stock. I'll run it like this for a while first.

Thanks!

You only need to plug the open holes on the vent wheel you install the adapter on. As you said, you can leave the others alone so you can use them if you want to.

That is my 18 1/2" WSM in the top pic of my link, which has 3 holes per vent wheel.

Bob

Last edited:
You only need to plug the open holes on the vent wheel you install the adapter on. As you said, you can leave the others alone so you can use them if you want to.

That is my 18 1/2" WSM in the top pic of my link, which has 3 holes per vent wheel.

Bob
Yeah, I thought about leaving the other two vents unplugged, but figured the plugs might create a better seal, and plus guarantees I don't accidently zone out and leave a vent open. Cool thing is, they are easily removable if necessary.

Hi guys,

I just ordered a DigiQ DX2 for my WSM 22". It's arriving today, so I'm anxious to get it installed. I think instead of using the tape, I'll try the 3/4" nickel plugs I've read on other threads.

That said, while BBQGuru doesn't have a manual for the Viper 10 CFM fan, I read somewhere that it has a sliding dampener of some sort that needs to be adjusted. Does anyone know what a good first setting for my smoker might be? 1/2 open perhaps?

Also, I suspect that the dampener is attached to the fan, so when I was reading about having to remove the fan after the cook, to prevent damage (as it's cooled from the fan I read), it just dawned on me that the mounted hole will be wide open. I guess you have to fashion something to plug the hole there to extinguish the coals?

Scott C. What "Stand" are you talking about ? The stainless steel stand for the controller ? I have found it works GREAT for the little controller.....if that's what we are talking about. On a second note, I think you should ALWAYS put the silicone plug into the smoker where the fan goes after your cook. A word of caution, I had to order a couple extras as it seemed some "Varmits" must have liked the smell of them and were taking them. So I now use some aluminum tape and put over the plug to stop that. The smell of the smoke attracks squirrels in my neighborhood I believe. I've not had any more trouble. You have to close that hole or you will continue to allow oxygen into the pit and the coals will not extinguish quite as fast. Good luck, I love my Digi Q.

Back