Difficulty removing 1lb tank from Q100

Ken-MexiKen

I had some difficulty removing a 1lb propane tank from my Q100 this afternoon. As I was attempting to remove the 1lb tank I could hear gas escaping. while encountering considerably more resistance than normal to remove the tank. When I reached the last few threads of the tank it literally blew off with a loud pop, sending the gas orifice across the backyard.
What did I do incorrectly when removing the tank, what should I do next time (I'm guessing I need to re leave pressure with gas control valve)?
Is the gas orifice just a press fit (it appears the orifice has thread like ridges, but no real threads)? Any tricks to fully re-seat the orifice?
Did I possibly do damage to the oem gas regulator with the loud pop and sudden release of pressure? How will I know it is now damaged?

My Q100 was siting in the sun, which may have significantly increased pressure of the 1lb tank.

My Q100 was siting in the sun, which may have significantly increased pressure of the 1lb tank
This. LP pressures can build rapidly. IDK what you meant by sending the orifice across the yard. There is no external orifice. Perhaps post a photo.

It sounds like the valve on the tank may have gone bad and would not close when removing the tank.

I incorrectly assumed it was a gas orifice. I have attached two images to hopefully clarify the issue.
Thank you
Ken

Attachments

• image000000-19.jpg
    image000000-19.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 23
  • image000000-18.jpg
    image000000-18.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 22
Yah, that is just a port. The stem inserts into the canister and opens the valve as you are screwing it on. It should only open the valve in the tank at the last second, but it sounds like that valve on your canister was sticking open.

Bruce, I think you nailed it. The amount of built up pressure was astounding, my in laws thought I discharged a firearm. It is a Bernzomatic tank, which is nearly empty after installing it and never cooking with it (must have been leaking). I typically use Coleman tanks, but found these on discount at the height of the pandemic. I'm in the process of converting the Q to a bulk tank.
Thanks

Last edited:
NO, I think your Q and regulator are fine. Best to toss the canister though.

I should just be able to push or pressure fit the "stem" back into position into the end of the regulator, without any leakage?
I sure appreciate all of the assistance.

Oh, wait. No, that looks like a catastrophic failure of the hookup. Unless that stem screws in, I would replace the regulator or go ahead and just do the conversion to bulk LP now.

I don't know if you can see the ridges on the stem? There may have been threads at one time, which were damaged or removed with the blow out pressure. I still have a difficult time believing that much pressure was created, without activating the over pressure device on the 1lb tank.
I will for sure replace with a new regulator.

I hate to revive an older thread, but, this exact thing happened to my old Baby Q today, only I was removing an adapter hose that had been in place for a few years. Considering the cost of a replacement regulator, and I use mine stationary, where can I find the write up on the conversion to a 20 lb bulk tank? I mainly need the parts list, and suggested regulator/hose. I've found a few utube videos, but, the ones I've watched, all seemed to have conflicting info on the parts needed.

I hate to revive an older thread, but, this exact thing happened to my old Baby Q today, only I was removing an adapter hose that had been in place for a few years. Considering the cost of a replacement regulator, and I use mine stationary, where can I find the write up on the conversion to a 20 lb bulk tank? I mainly need the parts list, and suggested regulator/hose. I've found a few utube videos, but, the ones I've watched, all seemed to have conflicting info on the parts needed.
I think Bruce had a great writeup on this. I did a couple a VERY long time ago. But, honestly forget much of what I used. But IIRC everything is available by simply picking and choosing the correct brass fittings at a Menard's Home Depot, Lowes, nearly any hardware or farm supply store

Exactly Larry. It is just a matter of removing the factory regulator on the Q and piping in the hose from a regular grill regulator.

Here is how I did it. But, if you simply find a 3/8" male flare to 1/8" female NPT, you don't have to use the adapter like I did.

Last edited:
Exactly Larry. It is just a matter of removing the factory regulator on the Q and piping in the hose from a regular grill regulator.

Here is how I did it. But, if you simply find a 3/8" male flare to 1/8" female NPT, you don't have to use the adapter like I did.
Thank you for the link to the How To write up. For some odd reason, I couldn't get it to come up in my search. I'll probably just order online, to keep me from getting something else the wife thinks I don't need ;)

Back