Did the creole turkey from the recipe page...couldnt get cooker temp up

I did the turkey from the site...

As he describes One chimney lit coals, another unlit on top. wait till they are are lit and ashy, then assemble, and add turkey.

I hovered right around 300 the whole cook. Turkey came to temp and was fine... but I was lost as to how to get that temp up... I even added some coals, and opened all vents to 100 and nada.... it was hot as hell here too, so I know it wasnt the ambient temp keeping me down... any ideas?

Normally for that amount of lit you should be well over 355-375..You did not mention the equipment and where you are mesuring temps?
If going by the stock WSM lid therm than screw that and go by internal temp of that bird..

Tim

The Cooking topics and the amount of lit-unlit are based on the use of the 18.5" WSM. I've yet to do a HH on my 22.5" but I would imagine you might have to up the unlit to lit portions.
You could also crack the lid by placing a metal spatula under one side. I do that on the 18.5" when I'm having a hard time going HH.
HTH

Tim

my bad. Maverick wireless, pit prob on rack next to bird, meat probe in breast. Maverick pit probe and weber lid temp were actually pretty close...
If the pit probe and the lid were really close, I wonder if you didn't have the pit probe too close to the bird. My lid thermometer is consistently 50F lower than what my Maverick reads at the top grate.

Did you run water in your water pan? That creates a huge heatsink, keeping your temps down and wasting a bunch of fuel to do nothing but boil water. Run an empty water pan next time and your temps should go much higher. Also make sure your pit probe is a least 3" away from any meat, ideally as far as you can get it without being right on the edge of a grate where it will pick up direct heat rising around the water pan rather than the indirect heat that is cooking the meat.

The Cooking topics and the amount of lit-unlit are based on the use of the 18.5" WSM. I've yet to do a HH on my 22.5" but I would imagine you might have to up the unlit to lit portions.
You could also crack the lid by placing a metal spatula under one side. I do that on the 18.5" when I'm having a hard time going HH.
HTH

Tim

Crap! I didnt see that mentioned, or think about it... but DUH! that would be a huge issue wouldnt it... ok cool.. I was worried I was really S'ing the bed here.... had some real issue, But maybe it was just purely not enough fuel.

If the pit probe and the lid were really close, I wonder if you didn't have the pit probe too close to the bird. My lid thermometer is consistently 50F lower than what my Maverick reads at the top grate.

Did you run water in your water pan? That creates a huge heatsink, keeping your temps down and wasting a bunch of fuel to do nothing but boil water. Run an empty water pan next time and your temps should go much higher. Also make sure your pit probe is a least 3" away from any meat, ideally as far as you can get it without being right on the edge of a grate where it will pick up direct heat rising around the water pan rather than the indirect heat that is cooking the meat.

I thought about that... but that couldnt account for 40 degrees, especially MID cook.. right when I put a 40 degree turkey in, it could for sure.. but not an hour in...

no, no water in the pan...

Back