devices for making a 22" kettle a full grill smoker.

SteveSingerman

There are several devices available that involve deflection plates (and some include charcoal rings) to allow more access on the grill surface for indirect grilling/smoking on the 22" Weber kettle. I'm not in need of searing so much. I just wanna be able to smoke more stuff in the 22" so being able to use more grill surface is a great development. I was wonderting how many people are using any of these devices and what their impressions are. I've attached the 5 I've seen in pics below. I've looked for all the reviews of each device that i can find. First hand experience is preferred.TIA. Smoke 'em up!:D

Screen Shot 2023-07-08 at 6.30.32 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-07-08 at 6.29.01 PM.png

There are several devices available that involve deflection plates (and some include charcoal rings) to allow more access on the grill surface for indirect grilling/smoking on the 22" Weber kettle. I'm not in need of searing so much. I just wanna be able to smoke more stuff in the 22" so being able to use more grill surface is a great development. I was wonderting how many people are using any of these devices and what their impressions are. I've attached the 5 I've seen in pics below. I've looked for all the reviews of each device that i can find. First hand experience is preferred.TIA. Smoke 'em up!:D

View attachment 74292

View attachment 74291
I have the last two love them both, can do the same also different! Bang for your buck is the firedial!!

The thing is that the kettle is a very well designed piece of equipment it excels as a GRILL! It can function surprisingly well as a smoker but, that’s NOT what it was built to do. My recommendation is, don’t spend $200 on trying to make the grill a smoker, add a little more to the kitty and just buy a WSM. Have both, let each unit show its stuff.
Now, that said, I spent years producing pretty fair “smoked” products on a kettle, I tried tons of methods, as I say, it was pretty good. Once I got the WSM? Smoked products are a pleasure to make, no hair pulling (after the initial learning curve), no wondering if it will be fit to eat, it is just a well designed smoker. Don’t get me wrong, I like gadgets as much as the next guy, maybe more than some. There are four kettles in my back yard and I use them all, the WSM, gets a pretty solid work out in “reasonable weather” kettles are in service year round.
I guess the point is, yep, there are lots of pieces of tools and equipment to make cooking easier but, the trial and error (by operator) can be expensive. It’s all fascinating to try but, not always necessary.

I agree with others here, No need to change what works.

I use fire bricks to bank coals to one side, minion method. Then place aluminum foil on the food side of the charcoal grate to encourage the heat to deflect back to one side.

I have smoked many Turkeys this way and smoked my first Brisket, 2 weeks ago. it takes a lot of time & patience , but does the trick. Nothing beats the versatility of a Weber kettle.

All that aside if you want to try a shot at building a Weber WSM, look into the Mini WSM Project Thread.

I’ve been thinking about your desire for more “smoking capability’s“. A couple of things have come to mind probably the least investment for most return (in my opinion) might be the Cajun Bandit combination rotisserie unit which can be reversed putting the openings on the bottom which could be easily covered. using a snake method inside that might work out very nicely with the added benefit of having a rotisserie to boot!

Back