Deer Shoulder Help

Kurt Neurauter

TVWBB Member
A friend of mine gave me a deer shoulder from one of his hunting trips. Can anyone point me in a direction on what to do with it? I was thinking low and slow like a pork shoulder, but I am not too sure. I haven't found much online either about what to do with it - target temperature, wood to use, etc.
OR is it a cut that isn't worth messing with?
Thanks in advance!

From my dad's cookbook, except he used a "Dutch oven" not a foil pan. It's very good, although you could substitute red wine with.....? and you could add spices to the oil when basting

Cut slits at intervals in surface of roast and push in garlic and bacon; brush meat generously with a good quality oil and sprinkle heavily with ground pepper

Smoke at 250-275 baste with the oil every hour until internal temp reaches 130-135

Place meat in a foil pan, add red wine so that the meat is standing in about 1/4" - 1/2" cover with foil and braise 30-45 minutes longer or until internal temperature reaches 165

Rule #1 remove all fat
When I butcher my own deer (at least one a year) I put the shoulder meat through the grinder for burger or sausage.
I have done shoulder roasts in the crock pot with limited success. Treat your deer meat like beef if you like your beef with all those ingredients thrown in do it that way. I personally love the flavor of venison and keep it simple a little salt and pepper is all I use. Although this may be a good piece for a PSB recipe

+1. I never had much success with shoulders. I used to grind it with prime beef fat from a butcher (3 or 4 parts venison, 1part fat). Makes great chili, meatloaf, burgers, etc.

I always do deer in the crockpot with broth so that it doesn't dry out. I have tried it on the smoker but it wasn't as good. I usually use a pack of limp ton onion soup mix for seasoning.

You can also do the pulled version just like a pork butt. Rub it and on the smoker take it to 130ish, foil, take to to 200 or when probe tender. Rest it for an hour or however long you want, pull it, and add a finishing sauce.

Thanks all for the help. I've decided to use the smoker, 225-250ish temp until 200. I just did the rub (store bought citrus BBQ) and am just waiting on charcoal to show up (oops!). I already don't see me doing this ever again because of the prep work with the shoulder. Silver skin is an understatement! I'll post pictures later / as I go along in the Photo section.

I have mesquite pecan, and oak. Thoughts?
I wish I had some cherry or apple, le, but I don't have time to run around town for a bag. Wish me luck.

Back