Deep south gonna get a tornado

Lynn Dollar

TVWBB Emerald Member
I don't think there's a lot of site users here from Mississippi or Alabama, but they're in for some bad weather today/tonight.

Living in tornado alley, I watch the NWS Storm Prediction Center site closely this time of year. I can't recall them placing a " high " alert nor a tornado probability as high as 30% . This is what I would call a sure thing that there's gonna be at least one tornado.

And the south gets these tornadoes at night and I think that's what they're predicting. I won't say its rare for us to get a night time tornado, but it doesn't happen very often. Ours are late afternoon/evening. Night time tornadoes are the worst, the trackers can't follow them as closely.

SPC Tornado.gifSPC.gif

Yes, this system looks serious enough that I postponed a visit to my mother (western North Carolina) until Saturday. We don't get too many tornadoes, but it only takes one. A few years ago a tornado came within 1/2 mile of our house, and my wife and I, and our dog, spent some anxious minutes in a closet after the power went out - the last thing we saw on TV before the power failed was a radar picture of a line of severe thunderstorms heading right toward us. I would prefer not to repeat the experience.

P.S.: the next WSM accessory you should buy is a weather alert radio, if you don't already have one (or an equivalent app on your phone). 😊

Last edited:
I don't think there's a lot of site users here from Mississippi or Alabama, but they're in for some bad weather today/tonight.

Living in tornado alley, I watch the NWS Storm Prediction Center site closely this time of year. I can't recall them placing a " high " alert nor a tornado probability as high as 30% . This is what I would call a sure thing that there's gonna be at least one tornado.

And the south gets these tornadoes at night and I think that's what they're predicting. I won't say its rare for us to get a night time tornado, but it doesn't happen very often. Ours are late afternoon/evening. Night time tornadoes are the worst, the trackers can't follow them as closely.

View attachment 24384View attachment 24385
Went through one in 1976 in my hometown where I was raised of Kilbourne LA. Completely disintegrated the entire little town. Nothing stops a tornado. Be Aware.

There's some people from the Weather Channel in Tupelo today. So far, I have only heard of tornadoes down south and over in Alabama. They were saying on the radio this morning that the worst is expected to hit around 3 PM.

The tornado that hit in 2014 came across the road from my house. My wife and I had just returned from Jamaica the day before and had taken off that Monday to rest up. I directed my family to get in the closet under the staircase and went outside to see what was going on. I heard the freight train sound that I'd always been told a tornado makes and saw trees bending over so far that I thought the tops were going to touch the ground. I ran back inside and joined my family under the staircase. Thankfully, the only thing that it did to us was flip over our trampoline and blow debris in our yard, mostly broken branches. Unfortunately, many of our neighbors' homes were destroyed.

View attachment 24384View attachment 24385
This good information, we use the NWS products alot in our day-to-day planning. They do a terrific (thankless) job. We are fortunate to have one of the best tv meteorologists in the business, James Spann. Also, a good reminder is to have a good way to recieve weather alerts, DO NOT depend on outdoor sirens. I use "Weather Radio" app on my phone.

This good information, we use the NWS products alot in our day-to-day planning. They do a terrific (thankless) job. We are fortunate to have one of the best tv meteorologists in the business, James Spann. Also, a good reminder is to have a good way to recieve weather alerts, DO NOT depend on outdoor sirens. I use "Weather Radio" app on my phone.
Here James Spann on Rick & Bubba !

The NWS has a large presence on the OU campus in Norman, which is just a few miles away from me, as OU is one of the top meteorology schools in the nation. The Storm Prediction Center and the Severe Storms lab are in Norman. So I've always relied upon them more than the TV, which the TV is best when the storms are actually taking place.

They cancelled schools in my area, but we ended up only getting rain, nothing bad at all.

Yes, it was not as bad as feared, which sadly, seems to be pretty common these days. They had a lot of tornadoes, but did not have the long track big tornado that does the most damage. The ones that touched down were relatively small and in rural country settings.

What caught my eye about this system, was the certainty of the SPC's forecast. They were more sure that there would be a tornado outbreak, than I can recall seeing. They've got a ways to go in predicting severity.

Those satellite views showing all the warm Gulf air flowing into the cold air brought in by the low pressure system, are a great example of wind shear needed to create tornadoes. The south has night time tornadoes because they have a lot of humid Gulf air. We get mostly late afternoon storms because its dryer here.

Back