Cutting a notch in top of smoker

Gonna have to add this to mine this weekend.

Actually I should have thought of that after coming up with this a long time ago for the middle shelf.

PA010103.jpg

Russ

Russ, I like the idea of the notch down there in that you don't have to worry about the wires getting caught in the lid unless you make sure they are in the notch each time you put the lid back. The main drawback I see to this one is that with the notch in the top you can put your probes in place while the food is out on the rack and then put the rack in place. Ditto with taking the racks out the sensors come with them and then you can put the lid on fast.

I am thinking of doing that as well, I put in 3 grommets for both upper and lower grates but getting the probes up from below the top grate is a pain and if you have to remove it to get at the lower grate you have to take out the probe. I think a slot for the temp probe for the upper grate is ion order. Thinking of it also for my 14.5 WSM

Approximately how far down below the lip should the notch go if I want to make sure all 4 probe wires from the CyberQ Wifi fit? Would this be too much open space in the event I didnt use all of the probes? Thoughts?

When I did mine the first thing I did was drill a 1/4" hole as close to the bottom of the lip as I could then used the dremel to cut the notch up. What I would do is hold your 4 cords together and then pick the drill bit size for this initial hole based on that size. This is more than enough room for my two cables. Even going a bit bigger I don't think it would be too big of an open space.

that's a good idea jason. so you dont think that big of a notch would impact the CyberQ's ability to maintain a steady temp?

if it does then just put some wadded up aluminum foil in there with the cables to act as a gasket. That or paper towel depending on what temp you are running.

Gonna have to add this to mine this weekend.

Actually I should have thought of that after coming up with this a long time ago for the middle shelf.

PA010103.jpg

Russ

Russ, Can you tell me more about your handles and table setup. I really want to do something like that on my smoker. Thanks!

Back