Cut giant pork shoulder?

Chris E

TVWBB Pro
Costco had "whole pork shoulder" but it is boneless and about 13#. Should I cut this thing in half so it will cook faster? Planning on trying butt over brisket for overnight cook and have plenty of time.

Originally posted by Chris E:
Costco had "whole pork shoulder" but it is boneless and about 13#. Should I cut this thing in half so it will cook faster? Planning on trying butt over brisket for overnight cook and have plenty of time.

"Whole pork shoulder....boneless"----too funny.

The boneaphobes have definately changed things. My daughter confessed just yesterday she didn't care for ribs too much because of the bones.
icon_confused.gif
Who knew the genius of the McD's rib sandwich?!

If the pork is uniform thickness, or close, I would leave it whole. Cooking huge pieces of meat is cool and fun. Separating the meat will give more bark (huge bonus)and will be easier to handle, butt......... It is the 4th of July. Go big for the USA.... More memorable!

Originally posted by Dave Russell:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chris E:

"Whole pork shoulder....boneless"----too funny.

The boneaphobes have definately changed things. My daughter confessed just yesterday she didn't care for ribs too much because of the bones.
icon_confused.gif
Who knew the genius of the McD's rib sandwich?! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dude, my mother-in-law is the same way. She doesn't even like chicken wings because of the bones. For my ribs, I have to foil them til they're FOTB or just make some country style ribs. Oh the pain...the pain!

Costco's boneless pork shoulders in a cryovac bag at 13 pounds usually contain 2 (6 to 6 1/2-pound, more or less) roasts. That's been my experience for 5 years or so. I've been requesting bone-in for that length of time and they don't do it, maybe because the other big-box store sells them bone-in.

I've made a lot of really good pulled pork from the boneless but it's a nuisance trying to keep the meat together. I tie them, but still a nuisance. Can't beat the price.

Rita

If it's one big piece, cut it. If its a twin-pack as Rita says, use them as is.

If cut, it will cook faster (but not twice as fast) and you'll get more bark.

All these anti-bone, anti-blood sentiments comes from the 'sanitization' of our meat to disquise where it comes from.

It was a 2 piece in one shrink rap. It would be better if they left the bone in. I tied it up with string and hope that works.

All looks good but having tough time getting temps above 205 with all vents open. Went up to 245 so I closed vents to 50% and temp went back down to 205. Took off center section, stirred coals and put back on. I've got 20lb of meat in there so I'm hoping the temp will pickup as they cook more.

Butts are very forgiving, 245 would have been fine. I've done them at 280 to save some time and I don't think I could tell the difference in the finished product.

Yappers I would a left it at 245 ! I got 30 lbs a butts and a brisket in right now and its crusin along at 250ish !

I agree. Don't be afraid of high 200's or even low 300's. If you are not sure... Make a roast or any piece of meat in your oven at 325. It will not burn and will be no less tender than one cooked for twice as long at 225.

At high altitude, it will be hard enough cooking at 275-300. If you choke your fires too much they will get too cool to get any cooking done.

Just try it, you might be surprised and it might make your life a lot easier.

Hopefully your pork turns out great! Enjoy!

Good tips. Butts came out perfect. Brisket was a little crispy on the bottom but good taste.

I guess I always heard low and slow meant 250 or under but doesn't seem to be the case neccessarily. I was afraid the temps might climb more as the meat got more done but probably only up to 300 which isn't a problem. I was gripping the wheel hard because it was my first brisket.
icon_smile.gif

Don't forget that it matters where you are measuring your temps. 250 at the lid could mean 235 at the top grate and even lower at the bottom.

I try to keep temps at the lid between 250-270, and no matter what I cook always seems to finish at the proper time.

Originally posted by Ernie D:
Don't be afraid of high 200's or even low 300's. If you are not sure... Make a roast or any piece of meat in your oven at 325. It will not burn and will be no less tender than one cooked for twice as long at 225.

Really?!
icon_confused.gif
All that time spent bbqing is just for drinking more....lol...

Dave, I didn't include it in the log but I was basting the cook with Tanqueray until I stabilized the temps at 3:30 am.
icon_smile.gif

Back