Customize Handle with the Heat Shield

Daniel Silveira

Hello, friends.

I just bought a Weber Kettle Original. And it came with the Handle with the Heat Shield attached to it.

I would love to customize it replacing the plastic handle with a wood handle. However, how do I remove the plastic one? The problem is, the screw to remove it is placed beneath the handle, and the heat shield covers it somehow, blocking the access to the screw. Is there a simple way to remove it? Has any of you done it before?

I've attached a picture of it.

Thank you in advance,
Greetings from Brazil.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2022-08-20 at 09.26.51.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-08-20 at 09.26.51.jpeg
    92.8 KB · Views: 18
Yours looks like a rivet? Mine was bolted on.
You could try a right angle screwdriver.
Edit, nope it should be a bolt so remove the 2 nuts and the whole assembly should come off.

Edit, nope it should be a bolt so remove the 2 nuts and the whole assembly should come off.

They are bolted. However the screws are somewhat locked into the taco. I am afraid to force it out of it and break it or bend it.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Hi, Daniel -

Do you have access to American fasteners? The best thing to do is to replace the sheet steel nuts that are on the underside of your handle with two real nuts per side (four total for the whole handle). You want to use two so that you can get the first nut firm, but you don’t want it so tight that you crush the enamel on the lid. You then hold the first nut with a wrench, and tighten the second nut against it to hold it in place. The nuts are 1/4-20, but I have no idea what it would be like trying to get them in Brazil.

Last edited:
I had 2 of them a 2020 performer and Mastertouch.
I took the nuts off because the handles came loose you could try thr right angle screwdriver.

That’s what the top of the threaded studs look like.

i'm curious what the inside looks like. All I can see on the top is two rivets.
You see the top of the threaded studs. There’s a splined section that goes through the thickness of the sheet metal sandwich, then the last 3/4” or so is threaded.

Guys, I tried harder... and I did it (picture attached!). Thanks!!!

I used a rubber mallet to release the taco shield from the screws.

Now, on to make the wood handles!

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2022-08-20 at 10.12.46.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-08-20 at 10.12.46.jpeg
    77.5 KB · Views: 31
I removed just the plastic handle that had a single screw on the underside with a right angle screwdriver. But where can I find a wood replacement? I tried putting on a Weber wood handle captured from an older model, but it doesn't fit the curvature of the metal bracket holding the heat shield. I already replaced the 22" kettle body with a captured Weber wood handle; I like the wood so much better than the plastic. I don't mind leaving the taco heat shield for extra protection.

I removed just the plastic handle that had a single screw on the underside with a right angle screwdriver. But where can I find a wood replacement? I tried putting on a Weber wood handle captured from an older model, but it doesn't fit the curvature of the metal bracket holding the heat shield. I already replaced the 22" kettle body with a captured Weber wood handle; I like the wood so much better than the plastic. I don't mind leaving the taco heat shield for extra protection.
REBECCA,
GO AND LOG INTO " THE Weber Kettle Club" once you're in on the front page left side there us a Menu list tab.
Click on that and select Handel's there is a gentleman that makes wood Handel's in so many kinds of woods they are beautiful.
Hope this helps.

I think this is the same gentleman that Kevin referred to.

I think this is the same gentleman that Kevin referred to.

I would not recommend that guy. I have dealt with him before.

I think Kevin was referring to Zavod handles. Here is a link to his store on Ebay - he goes by executor70 there.

His work is outstanding - he has many fans around here.

I would not recommend that guy. I have dealt with him before.

I think Kevin was referring to Zavod handles. Here is a link to his store on Ebay - he goes by executor70 there.

His work is outstanding - he has many fans around here.
I thought that link was for Brian O'Neil who goes by Zavod44?

I thought that link was for Brian O'Neil who goes by Zavod44?
I am pretty sure GrillHandle is Brandon, not Brian.
I could be mistaken; there are no names on the website. I bought some handles a few years ago when he was supposed to be "representing" Brian.
Now I make sure to deal directly with Brian. Just my two cents.

Back