Custom Steel Pizza Oven

I've used the oven three times now with a couple of different configuration with stones or not. My last run, I used a stone on the bottom deck and moved the pies to the top deck (steel) after a few minutes, with crunchy results. I was hoping this thing would be easy, and it still might be, but I'm still looking for a good combo of time/temp/surface

second run:
IMG_7970.JPG

IMG_7975.JPG

we ran out of red sauce so we made a wing pie with blue cheese, mozzarella, wing sauce, and wing pieces
IMG_7979.JPG

third run:
IMG_8025.JPG

I'm sure you're not short any taste-testers but I'll go ahead and volunteer my tastebuds ;)

It looks like you are getting great results with your steel oven pizza. Will rust be an issue? Could it be coated with a porcelain enamel?
I really like a bootstrap engineered project like yours!

Have thought about the kettle pizza idea, and would like to try something homebuilt starting with a CL kettle, then maybe use firebricks
for the outer ring. Might have to practice honing some masonry skills first.

It looks like you are getting great results with your steel oven pizza. Will rust be an issue? Could it be coated with a porcelain enamel?
I really like a bootstrap engineered project like yours!

Have thought about the kettle pizza idea, and would like to try something homebuilt starting with a CL kettle, then maybe use firebricks
for the outer ring. Might have to practice honing some masonry skills first.

so far, I've been brushing off the rust prior to using it. I'm considering seasoning the decks with oil similar to cast iron

I've tried a few configurations prior to this, one of them being a horse shoe of fire bricks. You'll need to build up the cooking surface so it isn't below the level of the kettle lip, and you'll need some kind of reflecting surface about the cooking one. Good luck, there is nothing better than having a functional pizza oven.

J, since you built your pizza cooker, I've bought an 18" kettle and I am thinking of making something up along similar lines for baking pizza. I have been enjoying reading your posts.
Thanks

J, since you built your pizza cooker, I've bought an 18" kettle and I am thinking of making something up along similar lines for baking pizza. I have been enjoying reading your posts.
Thanks

yes, and it works well. My last run had a stone on the bottom and nothing on the top which allowed my to vary the cooking method depending on the temp of the oven. I was starting pies on the stone, then finishing on the steel.

also we have been running apps in tins during the preheat, both decks work for that with the top deck running hotter at the start

That's the exact Pizza Oven I have, although I have not tried it out yet, maybe this weekend, I'll give it a shot, since I do have some 00 flour for the crust and some San Marzano tomatoes for the sauce.

No more putting off Mary, let's see some pizza

Alright, Chuck. I'll see if I can find someone to come over and help me lift this thing. It's almost as heavy as the Mojoe! I'll start making and proofing the dough tomorrow. I am hungry for some pizza.

Back